Registering for Classes
Get Ready: Registration Checklist
Follow these tips for making the registration process go as smoothly as possible:
- Search for available classes on Albert.
- Meet with your academic advisor to discuss your class schedule. Please note that without prior approval from your academic advisor or department, your credit load for January term will be limited to four units.
- Make sure you don’t have any registration holds that will block you from registering. Go to Albert "Holds."
- Make sure your contact information is up-to-date in Albert by going to Personal Info. To register for classes, you are required to have a current NYU Emergency Alert cell phone number and the number of a person to contact in the event of an emergency.
- Add your planned classes in Albert. Before your registration opens, you can add the class you want to take to your Albert Shopping Cart. This is known as “validating” in Albert.
- When you’re ready to register, go to Albert and either enroll in the classes you’ve already added to your shopping cart or search for and enroll in the class you want to take.
Here are step-by-step registration instructions.
When to Register
Visit the academic calendar to find out when general registration will open for the upcoming semester.
Check when your exact day and time to register is by going to the Enrollment Dates section of Albert.
Having Trouble Registering?
Visit registration troubleshooting to explore common situations that may prevent you from registering and how to address them.
Registering after De-Enrollment
If you have been de-enrolled from your classes as a result of non-payment, follow the steps below to re-register. These steps apply to spring, summer, fall and January terms.
- Contact the Bursar's Office immediately to discuss your bill.
- Verify your enrollment eligibility on Albert.
Go to the Student Center in Albert to check your eligibility to enroll for this term's classes. Review the Holds area of your Student Center or select the Check Registration Status functionality to determine if you have been cleared by the Bursar's Office to once again enroll for classes.
- Enroll for classes on Albert.
Once you are eligible, use the Enroll feature in Albert to register for your classes.
You may find that the selection of available classes is limited. Contact your academic advisor or the advising office of your college for assistance in planning an alternative schedule.