Career Development and Jobs
For information on jobs, resources, events, on-campus employment, and scheduling a virtual coaching appointment, visit the Career Center tab on Handshake.
The Career Development Process
Whether you have no idea what you want to do after graduation or you know exactly what you want to do, we are here to support you in your journey. Select your stage in the Career Development Process to find the programs and resources to help you reach your goals:
While navigating the process, it is important to always be building your skills. Learn how you can become Violet Ready and stand out in the application process.
Examine your interests, values, skills, and strengths. Identify your next career step.
You are still identifying your skills and strengths and learning about potential career options.
During this stage:
- Read about industries and job functions using Firsthand
- Explore job descriptions (look at the skills and qualifications needed)
- Conduct informational interviews by talking to people doing the jobs that interest you by reaching out to alumni on Violet Network
- Take the Career Explorer Assessment to learn about over 800 careers based on your interests
- Our blog will share up-to-date industry insights and feature companies that have opportunities available right now, direct from employers
- Review the Wasserman online career modules to assess comprehension, apply your learning, and review helpful resources that support career success
- Attend coffee chats or site visits to learn about different industries
- Engage in self-awareness and reflection to think about your values and interest in future work
- Listen to NYU community members share their career stories and how they navigate the professional world in Wasserman's All in a Day's Work Podcast
Move to Prepare when:
You have an idea of your interests and are ready to start building experience in that industry. You are ready to try out your field of interest and create a plan for achieving your career goals.
Refine career documents, build relationships, and develop a plan of action.
You are ready to create and refine your career documents. You are building relationships with professionals and starting to build your network. You are ready to develop a plan of action for life beyond NYU.
During this stage:
- Try an internship, on campus job, volunteer or any opportunity that lets you experience the world of work
- Create a tailored resume & cover letter
- Learn resume, cover letter, and interview basics via the Violet Ready Career Toolbox
- Build an enhanced Linkedin profile
- Meet with a career coach to create a job or internship search strategy to start applying to experiences that interest you
- Join clubs and gain leadership opportunities
- Use Big Interview to prepare for interviews
- Attend Information Sessions to learn about recruitment timelines and what employers are looking for
- Attend boot camps, workshops and other events
- Take the OCR orientation for juniors, seniors & masters students
- Attend a career fair or networking event to build your network
- Review Linkedin Learning classes
- Practice case interviews and review examples on CaseCoach
Move to Connect when:
You are ready to apply to full time jobs or graduate programs. or thinking long term about success in your career. You are ready to take steps to reach your next career goal.
Land that job or graduate program, become successful in your work, demonstrate professionalism, and continue growing your network.
You are actively applying for full time jobs or graduate programs. You are growing your professional network and thinking about long term success in your work.
During this stage:
- Use your network for advice on the job search
- Execute your job search strategy
- Evaluate and negotiate offers
- Reflect on what a long term successful career looks like for you
- Demonstrate professionalism in the workplace
- Make the most out of your full time jobs by building meaningful connections that will help in your future
- Stay up to date on skills needed in your profession
- Join the Success beyond NYU Virtual series
- Attend career fairs to connect directly with recruiters sell yourself using your 30 second pitch
- Utilize GoinGlobal for international opportunities
- Maximize Handshake to apply for full time positions
Move throughout the process
You will move through these stages at many points in your career. Once you have gone through all three stages, return back to them as you are ready to change careers, try a new internship, apply to graduate school, or even to just explore what else it out there for you.