Faculty Awards and Accomplishments
Read below for a sampling of awards and honors earned by NYU faculty in 2021-2022.
Two NYU faculty were awarded MacArthur "Genius" Grants:
- Nicole R. Fleetwood, James Weldon Johnson Professor of Media, Culture, and Communication in the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development
- Victor Torres, C.V. Starr Professor of Microbiology in the Grossman School of Medicine
Neset Ozel, Postdoctoral Fellow in Biology and Genomics in FAS, has received the Peter and Patricia Gruber International Research Award in Neuroscience from the Society for Neuroscience.
Michael Beckerman, Carroll And Milton Petrie Professor of Music in FAS, received the Gratias Agit award from the Czech government for his work in Czech music.
Okhee Lee, Professor of Childhood Education at Steinhardt, received the 2021 Exemplary Contributions to Practice-Engaged Research Award from the American Educational Research Association.
Enrique Rojas, Assistant Professor of Biology in FAS, has been named a 2021 Packard Fellow for Science and Engineering by the David and Lucile Packard Foundation.
Katepalli Sreenivasan, Eugene Kleiner Professor for Innovation in Mechanical Engineering and Dean Emeritus at Tandon, received the 2021 Leo P. Kadanoff Prize for achievement in physics.
Kwame Anthony Appiah, Professor of Philosophy and Law, was awarded a Gold Honor Medal by the National Institute of Social Sciences.
Elza Erkip, Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Tandon, has won the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Communications Society Edwin Howard Armstrong Achievement Award.
Two NYU faculty wrote books that were named finalists for the National Book Award:
- Nicole Eustace, Professor of History in FAS, for Covered with Night: A Story of Murder and Indigenous Justice in Early America
- Deb Willis, University Professor in Tisch, for The Black Civil War Soldier
Four faculty members of the School of Law have been selected by President Biden to serve on the Presidential Commission on the Supreme Court:
- Bob Bauer, Professor of Practice and Distinguished Scholar in Residence
- Trevor Morrison, Dean and Eric M. and Laurie B. Roth Professor of Law
- Richard Pildes, Sudler Family Professor of Constitutional Law
- Michael Waldman, President of the Brennan Center for Justice
Jeff Cheeger, Silver Professor of Mathematics at the Courant Institute, was awarded the 2021 Shaw Prize in Mathematical Sciences.
Sydney Ludvigson, Silver Professor of Economics in the Faculty of Arts and Science (FAS), was named a 2021 Fellow of the Econometric Society.
Michael Carmine, Associate Arts Professor and Academic Director at the Kanbar Institute of Film and Television at the Tisch School of the Arts, received a Creative Arts Emmy Award in the category of Outstanding Technical Direction, Camerawork, Video Control For A Series for his work on Last Week Tonight With John Oliver.
Michael A. Lindsey, Martin Silver Professor of Poverty Studies at the Silver School of Social Work, received the Distinguished Contribution to Child Advocacy Award from The Society for Child and Family Policy and Practice.
Two faculty members from FAS were awarded the Rome Prize from the American Academy in Rome:
- Eugenio Refini, Associate Professor of Italian
- Robin Coste Lewis, Instructor in the NYU Paris Creative Writing MFA Program