What to Bring to Residence Halls
The University provides each resident with a bed, twin mattress, desk, desk chair, drawer space, and closet/wardrobe space. Storage space in student rooms is extremely limited, so pack only what you need. You may want to coordinate bringing larger items with your roommates.
Review the list of items below prior to packing. We encourage all students to pack light and consider ordering some items after your arrival. We advise that you limit your belongings to items that will fit in one 24.5”x34.5” moving bin (provided by the University on move-in day). The following items may be needed, depending on personal preference, in residence halls unless otherwise indicated in the information about your hall.
The Bare Necessities - what we encourage you to bring - pack light
- Bedding, linens, towels: extra long (80 inch) twin bed size flat and fitted sheets, except for Clark Street, where beds are standard twin size (75 inch).
- Personal items (minimal): clothing, toiletries, medicines, books, study materials, and whatever else is necessary for you to live and work comfortably.
- Kitchen utensils: dishes and utensils, and cookware if you are assigned to an apartment-style suite
- Your tech equipment! Laptops, TVs, gaming consoles, and/or smart home devices. You can connect all of your devices to the NYU Network.
Items to Reconsider - ask yourself, do I really need this?
- Cooking equipment/appliances: Some traditional-style residence halls provide a microfridge (microwave + refrigerator unit); these halls are identified on the residence hall pages. Toaster ovens and hot plates are prohibited in all residences for fire safety and electrical reasons. One toaster is permitted within suites with kitchens, but the toaster must be stored and used in the kitchen area.
- Room amenities: Students may bring non-halogen desk or floor lamps, area rugs, posters, and clothes hangers. All windows have blinds, so curtains are not needed. TVs and speakers should be compact and equipped with headphones to allow use without disturbing roommates.
- Decor: If you bring decor, only use painter's tape to secure it. Residents are responsible for any damage done to walls upon checkout and will be charged for wall repair and/or painting. Command hooks and double-sided will cause damage.
What Not to Bring
- Furniture: Personal furniture may not be added to a room. If a student requests or requires special furniture to accommodate a documented disability-related need, a written request must be received by the Moses Center for Student Accessibility in accordance with the Request for Reasonable Accommodation process. Medical documentation is required to support the request.
- Air conditioners, air coolers, and electric heaters
- Candles or Incense
- Drugs and other controlled substances without prescription
- Flammable decorations including natural or artificial Christmas trees
- Halogen lamps
- Extension cords and multi-plug adaptors (exception: power strips with built-in surge protectors are permitted)
- Hot plates, pressure cookers, grills, air fryers, or other open flame or heating coil devices
- Portable washers and dryers
- Toasters (exception: only permitted in kitchens of apartment-style suites, one per suite)
- Pets (exception: fish in a tank no larger than ten gallons, and service or emotional support animals previously approved by the Moses Center for Student Accessibility are permitted.)
- Weapons of any kind including firearms, fireworks, ammunition, knives, swords, or explosives.
There is no storage space in the residence halls, so please do not bring more personal property than you can keep within your room. Students may not store belongings in the residence halls during the summer. Students who need or wish to store belongings during the summer are encouraged to use local commercial storage providers.
NYU is not responsible for lost, damaged, or stolen items. If you are not currently covered by your family's homeowner's or renter's insurance, you may want to consider purchasing a policy.
Gallagher Insurance is a non-affiliated vendor that provides a student property insurance policy.
NSSI Student Property Insurance is a non-affiliated vendor that also provides student property insurance.