On Campus Living
Welcome! Residential Life and Housing Services is responsible for the overall administration and operation of NYU’s 20 residence halls, as well as space for some graduate students in two complexes, home to approximately 11,500 undergraduate and graduate students during the academic year and summer session. Our office works in coordination with many departments and student groups to provide and maintain comfortable, safe and secure living environments for New York University residents.
Living in the halls provides an invaluable complement to a student's academic career. Living and Learning are the hallmarks of the residential experience. Residential Life and Housing Services is a great resource throughout your journey in on-campus living, from planning your move to transitioning into residential life, to navigating NYU's services - housing and beyond.
Some fast facts to keep in mind:
- Living on campus is optional. It is not required, unless NYU-NYC is your study away location for students enrolled at NYU-Shanghai or NYU-Abu Dhabi.
- Over 97% of our rooms are shared. Less than 3% are private rooms. This means that there is more than a 97% chance that a resident will have a roommate.
- Students who require accessible housing should consult the Housing Accessibility Page for more information regarding building accessibility and work directly with the NYU Moses Center for Student Accessibility to apply for disability-related accessible housing through the Center’s outlined process. Please also note the deadlines for accessibility requests.
- Tandon first year residents are assigned to Brooklyn residence halls only. First year residents of Manhattan-based schools are assigned to Manhattan residence halls only. There are no exceptions.
- Students should be keenly aware of housing cancellation deadlines. Once the published deadline has passed, there is no open cancellation path unless a resident has been approved by their school for a leave of absence, withdrawal, study away program, or graduation.
- Room change requests are reviewed and processed regularly, but our ability to offer a room change is limited based on space availability.
- The terms of the housing license are binding for both Fall and Spring semesters for students entering housing in the Fall term.