Checking In and Out of Housing
Fall 2021 Check in
We look forward to welcoming you soon! Review this page for what to expect on and before your move-in day.
We are excited to welcome everyone for the Fall 2021 semester! For most residents, move-in will take place from Friday, August 27th through Sunday, August 29th. Residents requiring quarantine will move in from Wednesday, August 18th - Thursday, August 19th.
All residential students are strongly encouraged to pack lightly and only bring enough personal items to manage one trip into the building. Review our list of what to bring and what not to bring before packing your personal items.
Please be sure to complete the following:
- Sign up for a move-in appointment. All residents, new and returning, must register for a two-hour move-in appointment in order to be allowed entry to their residence hall. Log in to the NYU Housing Portal, click Access Application, and navigate to the Departure/Arrival Hub to select a date and time.
- Upload proof of vaccination. Residents and their guests must be vaccinated against COVID-19 to enter NYU facilities, and all NYU students were required to upload proof of vaccination by July 19, 2021. For more information, visit NYU Returns.
- Submit an NYU ID photo. Residents must upload a headshot of themselves to the NYU Card Center in order to be issued an NYU ID on move-in day.
- Download the NYU Mobile App. Residents are required to fill out a daily screener on the NYU Mobile app upon initial arrival to residence halls. Downloading the app and testing the daily screener once before move-in is highly recommended.
- Mail all packages to your permanent address. Packages cannot be accepted at residence halls before the resident has moved in. Packages that arrive before your check-in appointment will be returned to sender.
Arrival Day Steps
- Submit the Daily Screener. In the NYU Mobile app, residents must fill the daily screener before leaving home. The screener works best with a reliable internet connection.
- Wear a mask/face covering. Masks are required in all indoor common areas, including hallways and elevators.
- Bring a government-issued ID. You will need a valid government-issued photo-ID to receive your NYU ID.
- Arrive on time. You will not be permitted to enter your residence hall more than 30 minutes before your scheduled move-in appointment.
- Unload & park your car. Most residence halls will have a designated vehicle unloading area, but NYU does not provide parking and cars cannot be left unattended. Please park in a legal parking space or garage after unloading your belongings. Use code NYU2025 for 15% off on SpotHero (up to $20)!
- Move in! Collect your NYU ID, keys, guest wristband and welcome packet at the front entrance of your residence hall. A limited supply of moving carts will be available on a first come, first served basis (you may also bring your own dolly). Please complete your move within the two-hour timeframe of your move-in appointment and return the cart promptly.
Bringing Someone To Help You?
Residents are welcome to have a family member or friend help them with move-in during their two-hour arrival appointment. However, it is important to note that only one helper can accompany the resident inside the residence hall at a time. Students will be provided a wristband upon check-in. If you have multiple family members coming to help you, they must alternate use of the wristband. Family members without wristbands must wait outside the residence halls.
Helpers must wear a mask/face covering at all times and should be prepared to provide proof of either full vaccination or a negative PCR test from within 72 hours of arrival.
Last updated: August 16, 2021