Fall 2019 Check out
Residents who are continuing their studies at NYU-NY from fall to spring do not need to check out between terms.
Residents who are not continuing their studies at NYU-NY from fall to spring (due to December graduation, leave of absence, withdrawal, or participation in a spring study away opportunity) must complete their check out within 24 hours of their last final exam, or by Noon on Friday, December 20th, whichever comes first.
Please note: Fall 2019 residents who participate in Spring 2020 study away opportunities cannot remain in housing until their spring departure dates. They should make arrangements to check out of their fall housing assignments by December 20th.
To complete a check out properly, residents must remove all personal belongings from their rooms, discard any trash or recyclables in the appropriate receptacles, return all original keys to the residence hall resource center, and sign the check out section of the residence hall registration card. Students will also have the opportunity to complete a mail forwarding card which will allow the University to forward any first-class mail for 90 days beyond the check out date. More details regarding this process are available at each Resource Center.
January Term 2020 Check in and Check out
Residents who are approved for January Term housing are able to check in beginning at 10:00am on Sunday, January 5, 2020.
Residents who are approved for housing only for the January Term must check out by Noon on Saturday, January 25th. A later check out is not possible, as Spring housing check in begins at 9:00am on Sunday, January 26th.
Spring 2020 Check in
Residents with confirmed Spring 2020 housing assignments are able to check in beginning at 10:00am on Sunday, January 26, 2020. Earlier check in is not possible, as January Term check out is at Noon on Saturday, January 25th. Check in details will be included in Spring 2020 housing assignment notices.
Newly admitted freshmen and transfer residents may receive special check-in instructions in their assignment notices.
Spring 2020 Check out
Please note the following important residence hall closing and summer housing information.
- If you are not registered for summer housing and do not have final exams, you must check out by 12:00pm on Tuesday, May 12, 2020.
- If you are not registered for summer housing, and are not graduating, you must check out within 24 hours following your last exam, but no later than 12:00pm on Wednesday, May 20th, whichever comes first.
- If you are graduating and not participating in commencement ceremonies, you must check out by Noon on Wednesday, May 20, 2020.
- If you are graduating and will be participating in commencement ceremonies, you must check out by Noon on the day following your commencement ceremony.
- Spring residents with summer housing assignments beginning on Monday, May 25, 2020 may remain in housing pending the start of the summer term. If your summer assignment differs from your spring assignment, you must be on campus, available, and prepared to transition into your summer assignment between May 20th and May 24th, once your space is ready. All transitions must be completed within 24 hours of notification.
Specific check out information will be posted in each residence hall and available at the Resource Center. Please keep the following in mind as you make your plans:
- Check out preparation: Prior to check out, please remove everything from the walls, pack and remove your belongings, clean the bedroom and common areas, empty trash, and place the furniture in order. Trash bags, vacuums, and brooms are available at most Residence Hall Resource Centers. Completing this step will help you avoid additional cleaning charges.
- Avoid damage billing or additional charges: All personal belongings and trash MUST be removed from your room before you check out. Residents will be billed if any trash or abandoned debris is found in a room/suite upon check out. Please report any necessary repairs before check out.
- Storage is not available on campus: Any items not removed after check out will be discarded and residents will be billed accordingly. If necessary, ship items home or secure off-campus storage before the end of the semester.
- Checking out: All residents must complete the mandatory check out registration by Noon on Tuesday, April 28th. When you are ready to leave the building, contact the Resource Center. A member of the Residence Hall Staff will inspect your living space to insure that all personal items and trash have been removed. Once approved, please return all keys, sign your registration card, and complete a mail forwarding address card at the Resource Center. (First class mail will be forwarded for 90 days. To have any magazines forwarded, please contact the publisher directly to change your address, as the USPS will not forward them.) PLEASE NOTE: Most Resource Centers are open from 10am to 10pm, but hours may differ in some halls.
- After Hours Check out: If you need to check out at a time when the Resource Center is closed, contact the Residence Hall Resource Manager to find out details about our After Hours Check out option.
If you have questions, please feel free to contact your Residence Hall Resource Center.
Fall 2020 Check in
- Most Fall 2019 residents will be able to check in beginning at 9:00am on Saturday, August 29, 2020. Specific instructions and check in times will be provided with housing assignment details.
- Earlier check in is not possible as the University completes repairs and maintenance between the end of the summer program and the beginning of the fall term.
- Residents should check in directly at their residence hall resource center (front desk area) upon arrival to collect keys and sign the housing registration card. More details will be provided in Fall 2020 housing assignment notices, which are emailed to new fall residents in July and August.
- NOTE: Check in for students assigned to temporary housing at the Stewart Hotel will begin on Sunday, August 30, 2020. Details will be provided in students' assignment notices.