Apply Now for Precollege Summer Term!
Experience life as an NYU college student!
Through NYU Precollege, you can earn college credits, connect with NYU faculty and classmates, and explore interests that will shape your academic future. Precollege offers rising 11th and 12th graders the opportunity to experience life as an undergraduate, and take advantage of everything NYU has to offer. Whether you already know what you want to major in, or you want to try out a subject you've never studied before, NYU Precollege is the best way to develop your skills and prepare for college.
Gain first-hand experience in a college classroom and discover what it's like to live and learn at NYU's campus in New York City. Connect with students from around the world in and outside of class. Whether commuting or living on campus, Precollege students ARE NYU students, with full access to campus resources, including dining halls, the NYU library system, peer tutoring services, and more.
How to Apply
Eligible applicants must be rising 11th or 12th grade high school students in summer or current 11th or 12th grade students in the fall or spring semesters. Students must have strong academic records (minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale).
Online Application Instructions
- To start your application, fill out the Precollege Application Account Creation Form. On this form, you will be asked to provide some basic information such as name, date of birth, and email, in order to create your account in our application system.
- Upon submission of the Application Account Creation Form, you will receive an email containing a temporary PIN and instructions for finalizing your account setup. Please follow these steps carefully.
- To resume your application, log into the Application Management page and proceed through the application. Please pay close attention to the information on the Instructions page for guidelines regarding submission of the application and any required supplemental documents.
- After submitting your application, you will receive a confirmation email. Within a few days, you will receive a second email containing your NYU credentials and instructions for accessing your applicant portal, where you can check the status of your application and any missing documents.
Please note that your application will not be considered complete or reviewed until all required materials are received. Admissions decisions are typically sent 2-3 weeks after receipt of a complete application and all required materials.
International students are required to provide proof of English language proficiency as part of their application.
Areas of Study
NYU Precollege students get to experience the dynamic, intellectually rigorous atmosphere of an NYU classroom. With dozens of courses to choose from, you can follow your curiosity as you discover new ideas and build practical skills. Get inspired by NYU's award-winning faculty, and benefit from NYU's unique access to leading New York institutions and professionals.
Explore a selection of Precollege courses below.
Arts & Media
- College Writing Workshop
- Internet Design
- Storytelling: From Aristotle to Beyonce and Beyond
- Special Effects Makeup I
- The Language of Film
- Cultural Capital: Media & Arts in New York City
- Introduction to Media Studies
- Acting for the Camera
- Calculus I
- Introduction to Computer Programming
- Environmental Systems Science
- Introduction to Cell and Molecular Biology Laboratory
- Introduction to Engineering and Design
- Introduction to Science and Technology Studies
- Calculus II for Engineers
Humanities & Social Sciences
- Introduction to Psychology
- Introduction to Archaeology
- Introduction to Sociology
- Politics, Power, and Society
- Classical Mythology
- Revolutionary Movements of the 20th Century
- Modern Art
- Born in Flames: Radical Feminism in Film
- Medical Ethics
- Business Organization & Management
- The Business of Nonprofit Management
- Introduction to Macroeconomics
- Introduction to Microeconomics
- Principles of Accounting
- Principles of Marketing
- Introduction to Hospitality
- Hospitality & Tourism Sales & Marketing
- Real Estate Finance
- Use of Space and Urban Design in Real Estate
- Introduction to Sports Management
- Organizations in Sports
- Sociology of Sports
In addition to classes, Precollege students can participate in the College 101 workshop series, which offers training in essay writing, research, and other essential college skills. College 101 also prepares students for the college admissions process, providing guidance and tools to help them build a strong application.
Precollege students are NYU students during their time attending class. Courses are available in person and online, and campus housing is available to students in the summer.
As a Precollege student, you'll enroll in your own classes and study alongside NYU undergrads and fellow Precollege students from around the world. Precollege students can avail themselves of University resources, like the vast NYU Library system, peer tutoring, the Student Health Center, and much more.
In the summer, students can participate in a full calendar of on-campus social acitivities and organized trips to Broadway shows, baseball games, museums, and much more.
Important Deadlines and Dates
|Fall 2023 Class Dates
|September 5 - December 22
|Fall 2023 Application Deadline
Spring 2024 Class Dates
|January 22 - May 14
|Spring 2024 Application Deadline
|Summer 2024 Class Dates
|July 2 - August 15
|Summer 2024 International Student Application
|Summer 2024 Final Application Deadline
Tuition is charged by credit, and the cost of a student's courses would depend on their total credit worth. Students can take courses totally 0-8 credits for an estimated tuition fee charge of $700 to $14,000. For more on tuition and charges, visit the NYU Precollege website.
Summer Housing and Dining
Students can elect to live in on-campus in one of NYU's residence halls in the summer only. Precollege students live together in the same hall and have the support of full-time residential staff who are on hand to help students access the resources they need and plan fun activities throughout the summer. Students enrolled in on-campus housing will be automatically enrolled in an on-campus meal plan they can use to access NYU dining halls.
Does Precollege offer scholarships?
Scholarships are available for students in the summer. Students may apply for need-based scholarship that covers up to 50% of Precollege tuition. If you are interested in applying for a summer scholarship, indicate your interest in the online Precollege admission application.
You will receive an email with instructions on how to apply for a scholarship, which requires submitting household income information.
The scholarship application deadline is April 1. Please submit your Precollege admission application by no later than March 15 so that you will have time to submit your scholarship application by the April 1 deadline.
Does Precollege offer campus housing?
In the summer, students can elect to live on campus in one of NYU's residence halls. Precollege students live together and benefit from the support of full-time residential staff who are there to offer guidance.
Students who live on campus in the summer should expect to have one or more roommates or suitemates who will be fellow Precollege students.
Can I attend Precollege if I don't want to live on campus?
Yes. All Precollege students commute to and from campus in the fall and spring terms. NYU Precollege in summer is open to both commuters and residential students.
During the summer, commuters will have access to the same on-campus Precollege activities and organized events as our residentials students and will find plenty of opportunities to connect with peers and take advantage of everything campus has to offer.
Does Precollege admit international students?
Yes. Precollege welcomes students from all over the world! International students are welcome to attend online in the fall and spring term, and can join the program in person in summer. The summer application deadline for international students is in March to allow plenty of time for students to apply for and process necessary visa requirements.
I submitted my application. When will I find out if I am admitted?
Thanks for applying! You should receive your admissions decision roughly 2-3 weeks after you submitted your application in full.
How can I find the Precollege courses that will be available?
Precollege students can choose from courses spanning a variety of academic subjects each semester. Course lists for fall, spring, and summer are available on the program website.