Skip to All NYU Navigation Skip to Main Content

When You Arrive

Arrival Checklist

Now that you have your visa and planned your trip, make sure you take care of all these things once you arrive. We hope you have a fantastic start at NYU!

Arrival Checklist

Follow the checklist below or download a copy (PDF).

Required tasks:

1. Find a place to live.

NYU provides information on on-campus housing in New York City, as well as workshops at the beginning of the semester on how to find housing off-campus. You can also refer to this listing of hotels, some of which provide discounts for the NYU community.

2. Add your US address to Albert, accessible through NYU Albert.

Update your US address in Albert (Stern graduate students use For detailed instructions, go to the Update Your Local US Address page. If you fail to update your US address, you are at risk of losing your lawful status in the US. Even if you are staying in a hotel, enter that address, then update your address again once you move to your new apartment or residence hall.

3. Add your US phone number to Albert, accessible through NYU Albert.

Update your US phone number in Albert (Stern graduate students use For detailed instructions, go to the Update Your US Phone Number page. All international students are required to update their US phone number.

4. Report your arrival to NYU before school starts.

The US government requires all new and transfer F-1 and J-1 students to report their arrival to NYU. To report your arrival, go to New International Student Orientation.

5. Register for enough courses to study full-time.

To register, graduate students report to their academic advisor, a staff or faculty member of the department or school, who guides students through course selection. Undergraduate students go to the school's advising center to meet with an academic advisor. Special Note: If you are NOT enrolled full-time AND you do NOT have OGS approval, you are at risk of losing your lawful status in the US. Learn more about getting approved to study as a part-time student.

6. Get your NYUCard.

After registering for class, get an NYUCard from the NYU ID Center. If you have already sent passport-sized photos by mail to NYU, you should contact your department to pick up your ID card.

7. Participate in school orientations and Welcome Week.

Designed to help you transition to NYU, Welcome Week is intended for new first-year and transfer students. Also be sure to check with your school and/or department to see if there are any orientation sessions available. Some schools require your participation at orientation.

8. Understand your health insurance requirements.

All students are required to have NYU health insurance. Learn more about the required health insurance plans and understanding the US healthcare system.

You are also required to submit your immunization records to the Student Health Center. If you don't, you could be de-enrolled from classes. Learn more about this requirement from the Student Health Center.

9. Find out if you need to take any English or other required tests.

If English is your second language, you may be required to take an English test at the American Language Institute (ALI). Check with your school for instructions.  

10. Pay the registration bill.

Visit the StudentLink Center to pay, and for more information. International students, parents and third-party payers are also able to make payments by wire transfer. (Please note this service is not available to students who are citizens of the People's Republic of China attending NYU Shanghai.) The wire transfer option allows you to pay your student account balance in the currency of your choice and provides a secure way of initiating payments electronically. Learn more about paying by wire transfer.

Other important tasks:

1. Open a bank account if you don't have easy access to your bank account abroad.

There are several banks in the NYU area. Notify the OGS if you are having problems opening an account.

2. Get a driver license or photo ID card.

A valid driver license is required to drive a car anywhere in the US New York State honors all valid foreign licenses. If living in New Jersey, you should carry an International Driving Permit along with the valid foreign driver license. To learn more about applying for New Jersey driver license, please visit the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission or for applying New Jersey non-driver identification card, visit here.

You may also want to apply for a state photo ID card or a New York City ID card. To learn more about applying for a New York driver license or state photo ID card visit the New York Department of Motor Vehicles.

3. Photocopy and safeguard your documents.

Photocopy your passport, I-20 or DS-2019, visa page, and I-94 information, AND photocopy all identity and other important documents you brought with you, or obtain while in the US. Store the copies in a separate location from the originals.

4. Contact your consulate in the US.

Consulates provide emergency assistance, cultural programming, and tax treaty information.