Required Tasks


Attend International Student Orientation

OGS International Student Orientation is mandatory for your first semester in the US and comes in two parts: the US Immigration Requirements Training (a self-paced online module) and the International Student Meeting. Both parts of the orientation are required for all new international students in F-1 or J-1 status at NYU. To get the most out of the International Student Meeting, please be sure to complete the US Immigration Requirements Training before the International Student Meeting you choose to attend. Get more details and the links to sign up on our International Student Orientation page.


Complete Your Immigration Requirements

2a. Complete the Arrival Form and Submit Your Immigration Information to OGS Online

The US government requires all international students in F-1 and J-1 status to report their arrival to their schools. You must submit the Report Your Arrival eforms one time after obtaining an NYU SEVIS record.

Report your arrival to NYU online by submitting the OGS Report Your Arrival eforms.

You likely already submitted forms 1 and 2 prior to your arrival to NYU. If you haven’t already submitted them, submit them now. 

All F-1 and J-1 students must submit forms 3 and 4 after their arrival to NYU. You should not submit forms 3 and 4 if you are not already in the US.

You will need to have copies (PDF or JPG) of these documents available to complete these forms:

  • Passport
  • F-1 or J-1 visa (except for citizens of Canada and Bermuda)
  • I-94 record
  • I-20 or DS-2019
2b. Add Your US Address to Albert, Accessible Through NYU Albert

Update your US address in Albert (Stern graduate students use For detailed instructions, go to the Update Your Local US Address page. If you fail to update your US address, you are at risk of losing your lawful status in the US. Even if you are staying in a hotel, enter that address, then update your address again once you move to your new apartment or residence hall.

2c. Add Your US Phone Number to Albert, Accessible Through NYU Albert

Update your US phone number in Albert (Stern graduate students use For detailed instructions, go to the Update Your US Phone Number page. All international students are required to update their US phone number.


Understand Your Legal Requirements as an F-1 or J-1 International Student at NYU

As an international student in the US, it's important for you to understand that it is your responsibility to keep your F-1/J-1 status legal and valid throughout the duration of your studies in the US. Review your legal requirements.


Register for Enough Courses to Study Full-Time

To register, graduate students report to their academic advisor, a staff or faculty member of the department or school, who guides students through course selection. Undergraduate students go to the school's advising center to meet with an academic advisor. Special Note: Special Note: If you are NOT enrolled full-time AND you do NOT have OGS permission to register for a reduced course load, you are at risk of losing your lawful status in the US. Learn more about getting permission to register for a reduced course load.


Get Your NYUCard

After registering for class, get an NYUCard from the NYU ID Center. If you have already sent passport-sized photos by mail to NYU, you should contact your department to pick up your ID card.


Participate in School Orientations and NYU Welcome

Designed to help you transition to NYU, NYU Welcome is intended for new first-year and transfer students. Also be sure to check with your school and/or department to see if there are any orientation sessions available. Some schools require your participation at orientation.


Understand Your Health Insurance Requirements

All students are required to have health insurance. Learn more about NYU-sponsored Student Health Insurance and understanding the US healthcare system.

In addition, there are mandatory health and immunization requirements you must complete. We recommend you begin completing the health and immunization requirements as soon as possible to ensure you meet all the mandatory deadlines.


Find Out If You Need to Take Any English or Other Required Tests

If English is your second language, you may be required to take an English test. Check with your school for instructions.  


Pay the Registration Bill

Visit the StudentLink Center to pay, and for more information. International students, parents and third-party payers are also able to make payments by wire transfer. (Please note this service is not available to students who are citizens of the People's Republic of China attending NYU Shanghai.) The wire transfer option allows you to pay your student account balance in the currency of your choice and provides a secure way of initiating payments electronically. Learn more about paying by wire transfer.


Get Tech Ready

NYU IT’s homepage has resources you’ll find useful throughout your time at NYU, including how-tos, software, and FAQs. Bookmark it to stay up-to-date on the latest info. And, as you prepare to arrive on campus, check out the Student Tech Guide and Tech Checklist for New Students. There, you’ll find the essential steps to ensure you are ready to hit the ground running, from setting up Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA/Duo) and choosing a secure password, to linking your email to your phone and downloading the NYU Mobile app.

Other Important Tasks


Open a Bank Account If You Don’t Have Easy Access to Your Bank Account Abroad

There are several banks in the NYU area. Notify the OGS if you are having problems opening an account.


Get a Driver License or Photo ID Card

A valid driver license is required to drive a car anywhere in the US New York State honors all valid foreign licenses. If living in New Jersey, you should carry an International Driving Permit along with the valid foreign driver license. To learn more about applying for New Jersey driver license, please visit the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission or apply for a , visit New Jersey non-driver identification card.

You may also want to apply for a state photo ID card or a New York City ID card. To learn more about applying for a New York driver license or state photo ID card visit the New York Department of Motor Vehicles.


Photocopy and Safeguard Your Documents

Photocopy your passport, I-20 or DS-2019, visa page, and I-94 information, AND photocopy all identity and other important documents you brought with you, or obtain while in the US. Store the copies in a separate location from the originals.


Contact Your Consulate in the US

Consulates provide emergency assistance, cultural programming, and tax treaty information.


Download Safe NYU

Safe NYU contains valuable resources to keep you safe and prepared at NYU.


Learn About and Start Using NYU Engage

NYU Engage is where you can create, discover and get involved with community, and stay connected to what is happening on campus.