Apply for an I-20 or DS-2019
Fill out the I-20/DS-2019 Application for Newly Admitted Students online. To access the application you will need to have your NYU ID number. This is the number you received from NYU that starts with "N" and is followed by 8 numbers, for example, N12345678. You will also need your NYUHome/email address password. Review the application checklist information to ensure you have all you need to successfully complete the online application.
In order to complete your application, you will need to have ready to upload:
- A copy of your NYU admission letter (an electronic version is fine)
- A clear copy of the photo page of your passport
- Financial documents that prove you can pay for the estimated expenses at NYU.
Students who should NOT submit this application
If you are coming to NYU for a short-term program, you should instead follow the directions you get from the NYU program admitting you. Examples of these programs include:
- Exchange students at NYU for 1 or 2 semesters, except Global Programs, Tandon Exchange, and Tisch Exchange
- Visiting students from NYU Abu Dhabi and Shanghai
- NYU students who are starting their first year at a non-US NYU campus (eg. Global Liberal Studies in NYU Paris, London, or Florence)
*You must be logged into your NYU email account in order to access the application. If you're logged into your NYU account and you still have problems, please:
- Make sure you have paid your tuition deposit to the NYU school you were admitted to.
- If you have paid the deposit, wait 2 business days and try to access the application again at that time.
- If you are still unable to access the application, please email email@example.com. Be sure to include your NYU ID number, NYU school of admission, and country of citizenship in your email message.
Attend an I-20/DS-2019 Information Session
Get tips on successfully applying for an I-20/DS-2019 from NYU. If no live workshop is listed, view a previously recorded Tips on the I-20/DS-2019 Application Process.
To access the recording link above, you must log into Zoom with your NYU ID and password using the SSO option at nyu.zoom.us in the same web browser. You cannot use an external email.
Upcoming Information Sessions:
Save your application and supporting documents for your records.
- Keep a photocopy of your I-20/DS-2019 Application and all attached documents for your records.
- Keep your admission letter and a set of original financial documents to bring to your visa interview.
Receive your I-20/DS-2019.
Once we receive your application we will start working on your I-20 or DS-2019. We’ll email you if your application is missing anything so make sure to check your NYU email (@nyu.edu) while you’re waiting for your document.
Approximately 2 weeks after submitting a complete application, you should receive your I-20 or DS-2019. You will receive your I-20 or DS-2019 to your NYU email account (@nyu.edu). Upon receiving your document, print and sign it on page 1. This should be considered the original I-20 or DS-2019.
Once you’ve received your I-20 or DS-2019, you will need to pay a SEVIS fee to the US Department of Homeland Security. In order to pay, complete the Form I-901 along with the payment via mail or the Internet (dependents in F-2 or J-2 status are not required to pay the fee). The SEVIS fee must be paid at least 3 business days prior to a visa interview or the filing of the change of status application in the US. Learn more about the SEVIS fee.
Citizens of Canada need to have an I-20 or DS-2019 and pay the SEVIS fee, but do not need to apply for an F-1 or J-1 visa. Citizens of Canada should refer to the US Embassy and Consulates Information for Canadian students entering the US
Citizens of Bermuda also must minimally have an I-20 or DS-2019 and pay the SEVIS fee. Citizens of Bermuda should refer to the US Consulate General in Bermuda information on Bermudian Student Visa Exemptions. Depending on the type of passport you have, there is a possibility that you need not get an F-1 or J-1 visa to study in the US.