New York University requires all admitted students to present proof of high school graduation before enrolling at NYU. Admitted students must provide the Office of Undergraduate Admissions with such proof of graduation by July 1 of the year they plan to enroll.

International Students: An extension will be granted to students outside the United States whose secondary schools operate on a different schedule. You will not be penalized for the late receipt of your graduation certificate or final report from your high school. Students who are submitting final exam results as proof of graduation should ensure that these results are sent to us as soon as they have been released, and provide official certificates as soon as these are available. You can refer to NYU's International Qualifications Tool for more information about what documentation is required.

Starting with the incoming class of 2024, NYU will require that all final documents for students from high schools outside of the United States be sent directly to our partner, Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE)**. There is no fee associated with ECE's review of your materials, and all documents will be reviewed for authenticity and shared with NYU upon completion. If you are admitted and choose to enroll at NYU, instructions will be sent regarding how to submit your documentation to ECE.

**Documents sent through an official electronic source, including A-levels submitted by Cambridge International Examinations as well as the IB, are not required to be sent to ECE. All transcripts from high schools not located in the United States must be submitted through ECE.

Please note that if documents are not in English, an English translation should be provided, one which is issued either by a school official or by a translation agency accredited in the educational institution's country. 

Valid Proof of Graduation

In all cases, proof of graduation must be provided prior to beginning the first semester of classes at NYU. NYU considers the following documents to serve as proof of secondary school graduation:

  • A final high school transcript submitted directly from the student’s school. We will not accept a high school transcript submitted by the student. The final high school transcript must show the date of graduation. For students in a curriculum where national examinations or other certification signifies completion of high school those documents will be required as proof of graduation. You can refer to NYU's International Qualifications Tool for more information about what documentation is required.
  • Results from the General Education Development (GED) Test. Students may submit GED results in lieu of a final high school transcript. Students can take the GED Test almost anywhere in the United States and Canada and internationally at any of the 3,400 Official GED Testing Centers. More information about obtaining a GED.
  • Original or officially certified copies of nationally recognized high school graduation examination results, such as the Advanced Level General Certificate of Education or the International Baccalaureate Diploma. NYU reserves the right to request that a student submit an evaluation or authentication of their final transcript or examination results by an educational credential evaluation service.
  • Admitted homeschooled students must either be able to provide evidence of a homeschool diploma, a certificate of completion that is considered the equivalent of a high school diploma in the applicant's home state, or they must complete and submit results of their GED test prior to enrollment at NYU.
  • A college/university transcript from an accredited, degree-granting U.S. institution, showing evidence of 24 credits in: 6 semester hours or the equivalent in English language arts, including writing, speaking and reading (literature); 3 semester hours or the equivalent in mathematics; 3 semester hours or the equivalent in natural sciences; 3 semester hours or the equivalent in social sciences; 3 semester hours or the equivalent in humanities; and 6 semester hours or the equivalent in any other courses. Students entering NYU with a foreign university transcript must have proof of high school graduation outside of their university transcript.

Students who attended high school in the US can follow these instructions for submitting documents to NYU: final transcripts may be submitted by a school official through the Common Application website. All mailed transcripts and other proof of graduation documents, however, should bear an official stamp, be signed and mailed from a student's school in a sealed envelope to: New York University Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 383 Lafayette Street, New York, NY 10003, USA. Documents may also be emailed to but should still bear an official stamp, must come from a school official, and must be sent from an official school email address.

Students who attended schools outside of the United States should follow the instructions above regarding sending documents to our partner, ECE.