There are many ways in which NYU students can engage with employers in order to find job/internship opportunities and access career advice. The On-Campus Interviews (OCI) program is one of those avenues for NYU juniors, seniors, and graduate students specifically.
September through April, organizations from a wide variety of industries connect with the Wasserman Center to interview both undergraduate and graduate students for their open full time roles or internships through OCI. This year, OCI will be operating under a hybrid model. Interviews will be conducted both in person at the Wasserman Center, or virtually, depending on the preferences of the employer.
OCI is open to students in the Class of 2024 for full-time employment after graduation (excluding Law, Medicine, Dentistry and M.B.A. students) and students in the Class of 2025 for summer 2024 internships.
Participate in OCI
In order for NYU students to gain access to OCI, they must read the On- Campus Interviews (OCI) Orientation Manual in its entirety and submit a final quiz at the end. After submitting the final quiz, students will gain access to view and apply for OCI positions in the Handshake "Jobs" section within 3-4 business days (excluding weekends and holidays).
We highly recommend that students have their resume reviewed and prepare for interviews by scheduling an appointment with a career coach. A sharp resume, powerful cover letter, and polished interviewing and professional networking skills are the keys to success in a job or internship search.
Interview Cancellation Policy
If you need to cancel or reschedule the interview, you must notify the employer and the recruitment team at least two (2) days in advance of the interview. If you cancel with less than 2 business days' notice or are a no-show to your interview, your OCI access will be immediately suspended.
If you have to cancel your interview due to illness or an emergency, email email@example.com so we can support you in rescheduling your interview.
- We require employers to give students three weeks to decide about full-time job and summer internship offers made through OCI.
- If a summer internship is converted to a full-time offer, students have until October 1, 2023 to decide.
- After accepting an OCI offer, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to withdraw yourself from future recruiting processes.
Student Renege Policy
NYU highly discourages students from reneging on employment offers. Companies that experience reneges from NYU students may decide to discontinue recruiting students in the future.
If a student reneges on an offer they accepted through OCI, we at the Wasserman Center will contact your Dean to alert them of the renege, require you to meet with the Wasserman recruitment team to discuss the matter, and revoke your OCI access.
If you are thinking about reneging on an offer, email email@example.com to talk about the situation and make an appointment with a Career Coach to talk about the decision and its potential impacts.
Fall 2023 Recruitment Dates:
(*No interviews or events)
- September 5: Fall term classes begin
- September 6: Employer presentations begin (full-time and internship)
- September 11: Interviews begin (full-time and internship)
- September 15: Fall 2023 Job & Internship Fair*
- September 25: No interviews or events
- October 9: NYU Fall Break*
- November 22-24: Thanksgiving Break*
- December 15: Last day of classes, interviews & employer presentations
Spring 2024 Recruitment Dates:
- January 23: Spring classes begin; Employer presentations begin
- January 29: Interviews begin (full-time and internship)
- February 14: NYU Spring Internship Fair (in-person)
- February 19: Presidents' Day*
- March 18-22: NYU Spring Break*
- April 3: NYU Spring Job Fair (in-person)
- May 6: Last day of spring classes; Last day of employer presentations & interviews
Students must abide by the OCI Honor Code or risk losing access to Handshake.
By actively participating in the OCI program, I agree to the following terms:
- Acknowledge that all information on my resume, unofficial transcript, Handshake profile, and other social media platforms is up-to-date, truthful, and accurate.
- Give my permission to the Wasserman Center to provide my resume and other job search documents to prospective employers.
- Honor all interview and employer commitments including but not limited to:
- I will cancel on-campus interviews two (2) business days before the scheduled interview date.
- Sign up for interviews with only those employers I am interested in working for.
- Exercise professional and respectful conduct during all recruitment related activities.
- I will not share my Handshake login information nor share job listings found on Handshake with any other individuals/institutions.
Accepting and/or rejecting offers:
- I will promptly notify the employer of acceptance or non-acceptance of an offer, either verbally or in writing.
- I will withdraw from the recruiting process after accepting an offer by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I understand that if I renege on a verbal or written offer of OCI, my Dean will be contacted and I will have to meet with Wasserman's Recruitment Manager.
Am I eligible for OCI?
OCI is open to NYU juniors, seniors, and graduate students enrolled in a degree program. Students are able to use OCI for two cycles; once for internships and once for full-time roles.
NYU Law, Medicine, Dentistry and M.B.A. students are not eligible to participate in OCI. We encourage students in these schools to connect with their school’s independent career center for recruitment support.
To gain access to OCI, students first need to complete a virtual orientation and quiz, which is open between August and May of each year. Once you complete the quiz, if you are eligible, you will gain access to OCI within 2-3 business days.
When does OCI take place?
OCI occurs during both semesters of the academic year, with employer presentations and interviews beginning in early September and ending in mid-May. You can see important dates for the current semester above.
I’m not OCI eligible. How do I access job or internship opportunities outside of OCI services?
Please check the Handshake job board for all open opportunities! There are thousands of postings for internships and full-time jobs available. Additionally, Wasserman offers a large number of career fairs, information sessions, and other networking events to connect with employers throughout the school year, all of which can also be found on Handshake. We encourage students to check the Violet Network or LinkedIn to connect directly with alumni that work in the field.
Our team of Career Coaches at Wasserman are available to guide you in your job search planning and strategy. Students are encouraged to schedule a coaching appointment via Handshake to discuss their personalized job search strategy with a coach.
Are there specific industries that utilize OCI more than others? Can I obtain a list of OCI employers, or reach out directly to OCI recruiters?
Diverse employers from a range of industries utilize OCI each year. It varies year to year depending on recruiting needs. We do not provide a list of common OCI industries or companies.
Additionally, we do not directly provide recruiter information for privacy reasons. Students who are interested in directly connecting with a recruiter or hiring manager should check Handshake and/or an organization's corporate website for job opportunities, as these postings often contain contact information for recruiters or hiring managers.
I need to cancel my OCI interview. What do I do?
We highly discourage canceling an interview with an employer. However, should you need to cancel or reschedule, you must notify both the employer and the Recruitment team no less than 2 days in advance of your scheduled interview. Canceling an interview with less than 2 days notice will result in your removal of OCI participation.
If you have an emergency or have accepted another offer, please contact the Recruitment Team, as we are able to make exceptions for these circumstances.
I have not received an email confirmation about my interview, when should I expect an email?
After you have signed up for an interview slot, the employer will contact you prior to your interview time. This communication will often not come until the day or evening prior to the interview. If you have still not been contacted by the employer by the morning of your interview day, please email the Recruitment Team at email@example.com.
What are information sessions? If I don’t have an interview, can I still attend an information session?
During the school year, Wasserman hosts and shares numerous information sessions (also known as employer presentations), featuring a wide array of employers. Some information sessions are held virtually, but many of them occur in person at Wasserman. No matter the format, students can access a current list of information sessions on Handshake in the Events section.
During an information session, recruiters will present to students about their company, speaking about its mission, vision, and work culture. Information sessions are a great way for students to learn more about specific industries or companies, and directly interact with recruiters who represent these companies.
Please review the Information Session description carefully to understand their hiring criteria and if your school year or major matches their needs.
I’m an international student, am I eligible to participate in OCI?
Absolutely! Both F-1 and J-1 visas allow for practical employment off campus in a student's field of study. Learn more about Navigating Conversations with Employers about Work Authorization.
I’m currently studying abroad. Am I eligible to participate in OCI?
Yes, you are eligible for OCI while studying away. If you are selected for an interview, please sign up for an interview slot in eastern standard time, and then reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible so that we can confirm with the employer that they would be willing to conduct a virtual interview with you.