Student Health Insurance
The high cost of healthcare in the United States presents a potentially serious financial risk to students. Therefore, NYU requires that all students registered in degree-granting programs maintain health insurance.
All matriculated NYU students have access to services at the Student Health Center (SHC) whether or not you're enrolled in NYU-sponsored Student Health Insurance.
SHC is in network with the following plans:
- Basic, Comprehensive & Tandon
- NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU Shanghai, and NYU Study Away
- Choice, Choice Plus, Select, Select Plus, Oxford Freedom, Liberty, Options, Indemnity
For all other insurance plans, the SHC is out of network.
NYU-sponsored Student Health Insurance
Most students are enrolled and charged automatically in the NYU-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan as part of the course registration process.
Students must complete the online enrollment/waiver process each academic year beginning in the fall to:
- ensure that they are enrolled in the plan of their choice;
- supplement their current insurance with an NYU-sponsored plan; OR
- waive the NYU-sponsored plans.
Understand Your Health Insurance Options
Plans & Benefits
Select your campus for specific information about your student health insurance plans, options, and requirements.
Where are you studying?
Are you studying remotely in your home country or as part of NYU Go Local?
Go Local and Student Health Insurance
Are you a student enrolled in a Washington Square or Tandon school studying in your home country either at an NYU campus (excluding New York) or online?
If so, you were automatically enrolled in and charged a premium for your school’s Basic, Comprehensive, or Tandon student health insurance plan. This ensures you have the insurance coverage you need to access high quality care at the time of an unexpected medical or mental health event. The charge will be reflected on your Bursar bill.
- If you want to keep the Basic, Comprehensive or Tandon student health insurance plan you were automatically enrolled in, no additional steps are required.
- If you do not want to keep the Basic, Comprehensive or Tandon student health insurance plan you were automatically enrolled in:
- You need to submit the “Go Local” Student Health Insurance Acknowledgement Form (PDF 411KB) to waive the plan.
- Complete the form and submit it along with a copy of your insurance card (front and back) to email@example.com before September 30th, 2021.
The SHC insurance department will confirm approval or denial of your waiver request.
If your waiver is approved, the Bursar will be notified and the insurance charge will be removed from your account, usually within 3 business days.
Wellfleet’s Basic/Comprehensive/Tandon plans include global coverage at the same benefit levels as when you are in the US.
For global coverage, students must first pay the provider and submit claims to Wellfleet for reimbursement.
Select your school’s location below to learn more about plan benefits and coverage.
Billing & Patient Accounts
Many of the services at the SHC are provided at no cost or very reduced cost to all matriculated students.
NYU SHC will bill the student’s health insurance carrier for charges incurred at SHC. If the insurance plan does not cover the service or does not pay the entire bill, the student is responsible for the bill.