Your Guide to Applying

On this page you’ll find step-by-step application instructions on applying as a transfer student to NYU via the Common Application.

Admission for transfer students is highly competitive. NYU’s evaluation will focus primarily on your college/university grades and your high school/secondary school performance. Our most competitive applicants have completed at least one full-time year of coursework by the time they enroll at NYU.

If the following applies to you, follow the instructions below to apply as a transfer student:

  • You have completed the equivalent of a United States secondary school education (approximately 12 years of formal education starting at age six), and have either an appropriate diploma or leaving certificates.

AND any of the following apply to you:

  • You are currently or have been enrolled as a degree-seeking student at a college or university that is regionally accredited in the U.S.; 
  • You are currently or have been enrolled as a degree-seeking student at a college or university outside the U.S. that is nationally recognized by the country's primary accrediting council/agency; 
  • You are currently or have been enrolled in a non-degree seeking program in the U.S. and will have completed 24 semester credits or more by the time you plan to enroll at NYU.

If any of the below apply, you should submit a first-year application:

  • You are participating in a dual-enrollment program, even if you are earning enough credits for an associate’s degree. (Dual-enrollment means that you are in high school and also in a college-level program.); or
  • You are currently enrolled in a college or university program in the United States that is not regionally accredited; or
  • You are currently enrolled in a non-degree seeking program in the United States after high school completion and you will have fewer than 24 credits complete by the time you plan to enroll at NYU; or
  • You withdrew from all your college level classes and have not received any grades for college coursework.

*If you’re unsure of your degree-seeking status or accreditation of your most recent school, we recommend you contact your school’s registrar’s office.

How do I apply?

The Common Application is required for students applying as transfers to our New York campus. Please ensure that you complete the Common Application for Transfer Students rather than First-Years. Currently NYU Abu Dhabi and NYU Shanghai do not accept transfer students.

You’ll need:

  • Secondary/high school transcript (or General Education Diploma) with graduation date, regardless of when you graduated.
  • College/university transcripts from all institutions you have attended. See below for guidelines on sending official documents.
  • Contact information for one person (or, optionally, up to three maximum) who will complete a letter of recommendation. NYU requires one letter of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, coach, supervisor, or anyone else in a position of authority. If your recommender is unable to submit their letter through the Common Application, they can email it directly to Please have them include either your date of birth or Common App ID.
  • Many of our programs have additional requirements, which may include an audition, portfolio, or prerequisite courses. Please carefully review the additional program requirements for your school, college, or program.
  • Nonrefundable $80.00 application fee.

Other Considerations:

  • Standardized testing is optional for the upcoming application term.
  • An audition or portfolio is required for art and music programs at the Steinhardt School and Tisch School of the Arts.
  • English Language Testing must be submitted If you have not completed at least three years of study where English is the sole language of instruction or English is not your first language.
  • Some students will be required to submit a Self-Reported Academic Record or SRAR. Following application submission, you may be asked to complete a SRAR for any college or university coursework completed in the U.S.
  • NYU reserves the right to request a midterm report from any transfer student, even though it is not required.

Are you ready? Start the application now.

Please note: NYU will only allow one application to a program per term. If you apply to more than one program per term, your additional applications will be withdrawn automatically and you will not receive an application refund.

Financial Aid for Transfer Applicants

Transfer applicants may be eligible for certain types of financial aid to finance their education at NYU. Unfortunately, we are unable to award NYU scholarships to transfer applicants. To learn more, please visit the Financial Aid for Transfer Applicants webpage.

When should I apply?

Follow the key dates and deadlines below.

If you’re applying to a program that requires an artistic review, we recommend submitting your Common Application one month earlier to give you time to prepare your portfolio or an audition by the deadline.

Notification Plan Application

Spring Transfer

November 1

November - January

Summer/Fall External Transfers

April 1

May - June

Summer/Fall Internal Transfers

March 1

April - May

*Applications are due by 11:59 p.m. EST.

Sending Documents

NYU accepts the submission of original/certified copies or unofficial copies. A certified copy has an original signature of the registrar or other designated school official, or the institution's seal. Include an official English translation if the document isn't in English. A school official or a translation agency accredited in the country of the educational institution can issue the translation. Unofficial documents can be used for application review. If a student is offered admission and chooses to enroll, official documents must be sent.

Official sources only include a school official employed by the school, nationally or internationally recognized testing agency, or other community organizations as permitted by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Any other sources will need approval by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

You can send documents you don’t submit through the Common Application:

by mail

New York University
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
400 Lafayette Street
New York, NY 10003

by email

Remember to ...

Use your name exactly as it appears on your passport or birth certificate on your application and supporting documents.

Is housing available?

Housing for transfer students is limited and not guaranteed. You’ll need to respond to your admissions offer to see if housing will be available for you.