Internal transfers are current NYU students who want to transfer from one NYU school or college to another. If this applies to you, here’s what you need to know:

Are there restrictions to applying?

The earliest you can apply for internal transfer admission is the second semester/term of consecutive full-time study at your current NYU school or college.

If accepted, you would begin your study at the new NYU school or college the following semester. The earliest you can begin your study at the new NYU school or college would be the first semester of your second year.

The latest semester/term for which you can apply for transfer admission is the end of your second year of study at NYU. The latest students can begin their study at a new NYU school or college is the first semester of their junior year. Typically applications to transfer between NYU schools and colleges are not permitted during or after the junior year. 

Please note that some programs are open only to Fall or Spring applications and may have additional requirements such as an audition or portfolio, minimum GPA, or completion of required courses. It is strongly recommended that you check our Additional Program Requirements page before beginning the internal transfer process.

If you do transfer internally, you must meet all of the degree requirements (including core curriculum/general education and major-specific requirements) of your new school or college. Differences between your current and new requirements may result in your needing additional time to meet your new degree requirements. Since we want you to graduate within four years, if you are currently in your third year, we encourage you to work with your academic advisor to explore alternative options to transfer admission to meet your educational goals.

If you want to change programs within the same school or college you should contact your current school or college's advising office.

How do I apply?

Complete the NYU Undergraduate Internal Transfer Application.

Please note: NYU will only allow one application to a program per term. If you apply to more than one program per term, your additional applications will be withdrawn automatically.

Is there an application fee?


*Some artistic programs may require an audition or portfolio submission fee.

When is the deadline?

  • Spring start: November 1
  • Summer or Fall Start*: March 1

*First-year students in traditional undergraduate programs who started their studies in the spring semester must submit the internal transfer application by July 1st. Spring start students applying to Dance and Film & TV must apply by April 1st.

Note: NYU sets deadlines so as many internal transfers as possible can pre-register in their new school or college. Applications submitted after the deadline are considered on a space-available basis.

Can I re-apply if I’m not accepted or want to transfer again?

Yes, you can re-apply for internal transfer admission but we strongly suggest you wait one full year before submitting a new internal transfer application again. Only under rare and extenuating circumstances are students permitted to transfer after just one semester since submitting their initial internal transfer application.

I’m in the Core Program in Liberal Studies. What do I need to know?

  • You can transfer to another school/college only after you’ve completed the Core Program
  • Contact your adviser if your future program does not require four years to graduate
  • Start discussing the transition process your sophomore year

I'd like to transfer to an artistic program. Do I need to schedule an audition or submit a creative portfolio?

Yes. More information about artistic requirements can be found on school or department websites:

Will my financial aid change?

In most cases, no — but there are exceptions. Contact the Office of Financial Aid at (212) 998-4444 once you’re admitted to a new school or college.

When will I find out if I’m admitted?

You’ll find out before the end of the academic semester in which you apply.

How should I plan for registration?

  • Before a decision is made, register at your current school/college
  • If accepted, contact your new new school/college for registration date and instructions
  • We’ll try to make an admissions decision in time so you can early register at your new school/college. However, this is not guaranteed.

Will my minor carry over?

Unfortunately, it won’t. Talk with an adviser in your new program to find out if re-declaring your minor is possible.

I’m a former NYU student. What do I need to know?

If you want to apply to a different school or college …

  • Apply as an internal transfer if you HAVE NOT attended another college or university since leaving NYU
  • Apply as an external transfer student if you HAVE attended another college or university since leaving NYU

If you want to apply to the same NYU school or college …