Visa for NYU Tel Aviv

Tel Aviv, Israel

Just got accepted to NYU Tel Aviv? Congratulations! Read on to find out how to get your visa for Tel Aviv. For information on program details and living recommendations, contact the Office of Global Programs or go to the NYU Tel Aviv page.

PLEASE NOTE: The following resources are intended for students attending a study away program through the Office of Global Programs at NYU Tel Aviv.

Find out if you need a visa

Determine whether you'll need a visa by using GlobalChek Plus.


  • GlobalChek Plus is a self-service immigration tool to help you determine whether or not you will require a visa to study away. This is NOT your visa application.
  • To use GlobalChek Plus, log in to -> click on GlobalChek Plus Login (bottom left side of page) -> run New Visa Query -> under Purpose of Trip, select STUDENT – STUDY AWAY PROGRAM @ NYU Tel Aviv.
  • Note:
    • If you are a visiting student not enrolled at NYU, you will need to contact your program administrator or admissions office for information on getting access to NYU Home.
    • Please note, you must use your NYU email address.
    • If you are a citizen of more than one country, you can select multiple citizenships.
    • Your “origin country” is the country from where you will be departing.
    • Enter your NYU program dates.
    • Carefully review the “Travel Information” generated for you. The information will automatically be emailed to you.

Visa information: Visa required prior to entry.


How long it takes to get a visa

The earliest time to apply for your Israeli visa is 3 months (90 days) before the NYU Tel Aviv program start date. The average visa processing time is 2-4 weeks. If one or both of your parents are Israeli citizens, please contact us for further instructions about the visa process. Please note that the majority of students, including US citizens, will not need to obtain a visa prior to arrival in Israel.

Prepare before you apply

Step 1

Make sure you have a valid passport.

If you do not have a passport or need to renew yours, use an expedited method to obtain it immediately. OGS will not be able to request the necessary immigration documents for you until you have a valid passport.

Step 2

Complete the Student Information Form.

Complete the form with your personal information exactly as it appears on your passport.  

Step 3

Submit a copy of the photo & signature pages of your passport to OGS.


Step 4

Receive visa supporting documents from the OGS.

We will provide you with your acceptance letters and proof of health insurance via email.  

Apply for a visa

  • NYU Tel Aviv has a special arrangement with the Ministry of Interior Affairs that dictates that students attending NYU Tel Aviv will not obtain student visas to study at NYU Tel Aviv.

  • Most students will travel without applying for a visa before traveling to Israel as a tourist. After arrival, these students will obtain an extension to be able to legally stay in Israel for the full length of the semester. All students should complete this extension form and return it to OGS.

  • Some students, identified by the Ministry in Israel, will need to apply for a visa prior to traveling to Israel. Those students will be contacted directly by OGS and given further instruction.

  • The Ministry will identify who requires a visa prior to entry based upon each student’s passport and Student Information Form -- as such, these forms are REQUIRED!

Special note for international students:

If you are an F-1 student, to keep your F-1 status while abroad, you must:

  • Register as a full-time student.
  • Keep a local US address in Albert.
  • Get a travel signature on your I-20 before departing the US.
  • Check your F-1 visa to ensure it will be valid when you plan to return to the US. If you need a new one, review how to renew your U.S. visa.
  • Continue to check your NYU email while you're outside of the US. It's the only way we could contact you if there is any issue with your immigration record.
  • Talk to an advisor at the OGS prior to leaving if you want to work in the US right after you return.

If you are a J-1 student:

  • You must contact us immediately for guidance if you wish to study abroad for a semester or year.

Are you an international student and want to study or travel outside the US for more than 5 months? Contact us.