Sydney, Australia

The following resources are intended for students who plan to study away at NYU Sydney for a semester or full academic year. Students participating in short-term programs should visit our Visa Short-Term Travel page for more information.

Have you been accepted to NYU Sydney? Congratulations! Read on to find out how to get your visa for Australia. For information on study away details and living recommendations, contact the Office of Global Programs or go to the NYU Sydney page.

If you have questions about your visa application or require assistance completing any application forms, please contact OGS or visit us during Advising Hours at the StudentLink Center.

Find out if you need a visa

ALL STUDENTS attending NYU Sydney (except citizens of Australia and New Zealand) should apply for either a Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462) or a Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417), depending on your country of citizenship.

Due to restrictions on the type of visa that NYU students are able to obtain in Australia, at this time, participation in semester-long programs at NYU Sydney is limited to students holding passports from the certain countries, outlined in the steps below.

How long it takes to get a visa

The earliest you can apply for your visa is one year before you depart for NYU Sydney. The average visa processing time is 5-10 business days but it can take up to 90 days. 

Prepare before you apply

Step 1

Make sure you have a valid passport from a country that meets the eligibility requirements.

If you do not have a passport or need to renew yours, use an expedited method to obtain it immediately. 

Step 2

Submit a copy of the photo & signature pages of your passport to OGS via your Enrollment Portal.

  • Must be a clear scan of the bio page (including the barcode at the bottom) and signature page (passport must be signed) of your passport.
  • Must be a scan, not a photo.
  • Must be valid more than 6 months beyond the end date of your semester or academic year away

Step 3

Determine your eligibility for the visa type that you need.

  • Passport holders from the US, Argentina, Austria, Chile, China, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Greece, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Peru, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, Uruguay, or Vietnam are eligible to study at NYU Sydney with a  Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462).
    • Please note that the Australian government currently limits the number of applications from the countries eligible for the subclass 462 visa except for the United States, so it is possible that a cap for your country may have been met. Citizens of many countries listed will also need to meet certain education requirements in order to be eligible for the visa. Please review the education section on this page to confirm your eligibility.
  • Passport holders from Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan, and the UK are eligible to study at NYU Sydney with a Working Holiday visa (subclass 417).
  • Passport holders from Australia do not need to apply for any additional immigration permission to study at NYU Sydney.
  • Passport holders from New Zealand who are not permanent residents of Australia are eligible to apply for the free Special Category visa (subclass 444). This can be done upon arrival in Australia and will allow you to work and study in Australia for as long as you remain a citizen of New Zealand.
  • If you do not hold a passport from any of the countries listed above, contact us immediately. Do not apply for a visa on your own.

Important Notes:

  • Australian Work and Holiday and Working Holiday visas are typically only granted to an individual once in their lifetime. In some rare cases, you may apply for the visa a second time, however, the requirements for this visa are usually not applicable to students who have previously studied in Australia. 
  • These visas are only available to those under the age of 30. 
  • Although these visas are valid for a period of one year, only four months may be spent studying, which limits most students to one semester at NYU Sydney.
  • Given the complexities of the visa process for those studying at NYU Sydney, we strongly encourage those considering it to consult with NYU’s Office of Global Services.

PLEASE NOTE: Per immigration regulations, all immigration documents (NYU support letters, visas, residence permits, etc.) will reflect the information indicated in your passport. If you have been admitted to study at an NYU site abroad and are in the process of changing your name, gender, or any biographical information on your passport, we encourage you to complete that process before applying for a visa. If timing will not allow for this, we recommend that you wait to formalize these changes until you have returned from your semester or academic year away. Please contact OGS if you have any questions. 

Apply for a visa

Step 1

Complete your visa application.

Step 2

Receive your visa.

The visa will be electronically affixed to your passport upon approval. You will also receive a grant letter through your ImmiAccount notifying you that your visa has been finalized. Be sure to upload the grant letter to OGS via your Enrollment Portal.

Special note for international students:

If you are an F-1 student, to keep your F-1 status while abroad, you must:

  • Register as a full-time student.
  • Keep a local US address in Albert.
  • Get a travel signature on your I-20 before departing the US.
  • Check your F-1 visa to ensure it will be valid when you plan to return to the US. If you need a new one, review how to renew your U.S. visa.
  • Continue to check your NYU email while you're outside of the US. It's the only way we could contact you if there is any issue with your immigration record.
  • Talk to an advisor at the OGS prior to leaving if you want to work in the US right after you return.

If you are a J-1 student:

  • You must contact us immediately for guidance if you wish to study abroad for a semester or year.

Are you an international student and want to study or travel outside the US for more than 5 months? Contact us.