Visa for NYU Shanghai

Shanghai, China

Just got accepted to NYU Shanghai? Congratulations! Read on to find out how to get your visa for Shanghai. For information on program details and living recommendations, contact the Office of Global Programs or go to the NYU Shanghai page.

PLEASE NOTE: The following resources are intended for students attending a study away program through the Office of Global Programs at NYU Shanghai.

Determine whether you'll need a visa by using GlobalChek Plus.

  • GlobalChek Plus is a self-service immigration tool to help you determine whether or not you will require a visa to study away. This is NOT your visa application.
  • To use GlobalChek Plus, log in to -> click on GlobalChek Plus Login (bottom left side of page) -> run New Visa Query -> under Purpose of Trip, select STUDENT – STUDY AWAY PROGRAM @ NYU Shanghai.
  • Note:
    • If you are a visiting student not enrolled at NYU, you will need to contact your program administrator or admissions office for information on getting access to NYU Home.
    • Please note, you must use your NYU email address.
    • If you are a citizen of more than one country, you can select multiple citizenships.
    • Your “origin country” is the country from where you will be departing.
    • Enter your NYU program dates.
    • Carefully review the “Travel Information” generated for you. The information will automatically be emailed to you.

Visa information: Visa required prior to entry. You must receive a JW202 and Acceptance letter produced by NYU Shanghai prior to beginning the visa application. If you are studying in Shanghai for one semester, you will be applying for a X2 visa. If you are studying for two semesters, you will be applying for a X1 visa.

How long it takes to get a visa

The earliest time to apply for your Chinese visa is 3 months (90 days) before the NYU Shanghai program start date. The NYC Consulate generally takes 3-5 business days to process visas. If you are applying at a different consulate, check their website for processing times. 

Prepare before you apply

Step 1

Make sure you have a valid passport.

If you do not have a passport or need to renew yours, use an expedited method to obtain it immediately. OGS will not be able to request the necessary immigration documents for you until you have a valid passport.

Step 2

Complete the Student Information Form.

Complete the form with your personal information exactly as it appears on your passport.  

Step 3

Submit a copy of the photo & signature pages of your passport to OGS.


Step 4

Determine the visa type you need.

  • You should apply for an X2 visa if you will be studying in China for less than 6 months (one semester).
  • You should apply for an X1 visa if you will be studying in China for more than 6 months (the academic year).

Apply for a visa

Step 1

Find out which consulate you will apply for your visa at.

  • NYU students in NY can apply to the New York Consulate
  • Search the Chinese Consulates in the U.S. to determine where your local consulate is. You will have to prove your residency in the consulate’s jurisdiction with your driver’s license or student ID.
  • If you are an international student and will be applying for your visa in your home country, search the Chinese Consulates abroad instead.

Step 2

Complete your visa application.

  • If you are applying at the New York Consulate, fill out this visa application. If you are applying at another consulate, fill out the application provided on their website.
    • If you will be studying in Shanghai for ONE semester, follow this sample visa application.
    • If you will be studying in Shanghai for TWO semesters, follow this sample visa application.
    • We recommend applying for a multi-entry visa. However, please note that it is completely up to the consulate whether you will be issued a multi-entry visa. It is common for X2 visa applicants in particular to be issued a single-entry visa. If this is the case, staff at NYU Shanghai should be able to assist you in obtaining another entry after your arrival.
  • There is a visa fee, which varies depending upon your citizenship. Check your consulate’s website for the rate based on your nationality.
    • You will need to pay the fee with a credit card or a money order only.
    • The consulate also offers the option of expediting your visa for an additional $20, which will result in your visa being processed in 2-3 days.
  • Please note that different consulates have different requirements. You should visit the website of your local consulate or embassy to make sure you have everything you need.

Step 3

Make an appointment at your local consulate to submit your visa application, if required.

  • There are no appointments necessary at the New York Consulate, so you can simply walk in once you have completed your application and gathered the required documentation.
  • If you are applying at a different consulate, check their website for instructions.

Step 4

Receive your visa.

Once you have your visa, you're ready to go. Pack those bags!

Special note for international students:

If you are an F-1 student, to keep your F-1 status while abroad, you must:

  • Register as a full-time student.
  • Keep a local US address in Albert.
  • Get a travel signature on your I-20 before departing the US.
  • Check your F-1 visa to ensure it will be valid when you plan to return to the US. If you need a new one, review how to renew your U.S. visa.
  • Continue to check your NYU email while you're outside of the US. It's the only way we could contact you if there is any issue with your immigration record.
  • Talk to an advisor at the OGS prior to leaving if you want to work in the US right after you return.

If you are a J-1 student:

  • You must contact us immediately for guidance if you wish to study abroad for a semester or year.

Are you an international student and want to study or travel outside the US for more than 5 months? Contact us.