The following resources are intended for students who plan to study away at NYU Paris for a semester or full academic year. Students participating in short-term programs should visit our Visa Short-Term Travel page for more information.

Have you been accepted to NYU Paris? Congratulations! Read on to find out how to get your visa for Paris. For information on study away details and living recommendations, contact the Office of Global Programs or go to the NYU Paris page.

If you are an NYU Abu Dhabi student and will be applying in the UAE, please contact NYU Abu Dhabi's Global Education Office for localized assistance. If you are an NYU Shanghai student applying in Shanghai, the OGS will be working with the Shanghai Mobility Team to provide you with assistance.

PLEASE NOTE: If you are a incoming First Year student in Liberal Studies, you will work directly with Liberal Studies to obtain your visa.

If you have questions about your visa application or require assistance completing any application forms, please contact OGS or visit us during Advising Hours at the StudentLink Center.

Find out if you need a visa

All students attending NYU Paris must obtain a Long-Stay Student Visa before traveling to France (unless you are an EU, EEA, or Swiss citizen traveling on a valid EU, EEA, or Swiss passport). If you do not obtain the correct visa, you will not be permitted to enroll in NYU Paris for a semester or academic year away.

The French visa process is a two step process. You must complete the Campus France online process before applying for a visa.

How long it takes to get a visa

  • The earliest you can apply for your visa is 90 days before your departure. You should begin the French visa process at least 2 months before your departure. If applying for your visa in the US, you must register with Campus France USA, which takes 3 weeks to process. After that, the French Consulate generally takes 3-4 weeks to process your visa. You should register with Campus France immediately and book your consulate appointment as soon as possible.
    • Please note: If you do not need to obtain a visa based on your citizenship, you do not have to complete the Campus France process, but you still must check your NYU email regularly for other important updates.
    • The information on Campus France below pertains to Campus France USA only - if you will be applying for your visa from your home country, please contact an OGS advisor for more information.

Prepare before you apply

Step 1

Make sure you have a valid passport.

If you do not have a passport or need to renew yours, use an expedited method to obtain it immediately. OGS will not be able to request the necessary immigration documents for you until you have a valid passport.

Step 2

Submit a copy of the photo & signature pages of your passport to OGS via your Enrollment Portal.

  • Must be a clear scan of the bio page (including the barcode at the bottom) and signature page (passport must be signed) of your passport.
  • Must be a scan, not a photo.
  • Must be valid more than 6 months beyond the end date of your semester or academic year away

Step 4

Register with Campus France.

  • Create and register an Etudes en France account with Campus France. OGS has created a guide to assist you with your registration process. 
  • Submit required materials (receipt of payment and official acceptance letter) to Campus France. 
  • Upload proof of payment to the OGS Campus France Application Submission via your Enrollment Portal. 
  • Check your Etudes en France account and your personal email for your receipt and your registration confirmation. You will need to print and bring both your receipt and registration confirmation to your visa appointment.

PLEASE NOTE: Per immigration regulations, all immigration documents (NYU support letters, visas, residence permits, etc.) will reflect the information indicated in your passport. If you have been admitted to study at an NYU site abroad and are in the process of changing your name, gender, or any biographical information on your passport, we encourage you to complete that process before applying for a visa. If timing will not allow for this, we recommend that you wait to formalize these changes until you have returned from your semester or academic year away. Please contact OGS if you have any questions. 

Apply for a visa

Step 1

Find out which consulate or VFS Center you will visit to apply for your visa.

  • Students in the United States must submit their visa applications through a VFS Application Center
  • If you are an international student and will be applying for your visa in your home country, search the French Consulates abroad instead.

Step 2

Complete your visa application.

Step 3

Make an appointment to submit your visa application.

  • Applicants in the United States will be directed to a VFS Application Center to make an appointment upon completion of the online French Visa Application. 
  • Applicants outside of the United States should follow directions on the French Consulate's website where they will apply for the visa. 
  • Collect the required documents listed in your NYU Paris Visa Document Checklist.
  • Submit your complete application on the date of your visa appointment. 

Step 4

Receive your visa.

Once you have your visa, you're ready to go. Please upload a copy of your visa to OGS via your Enrollment Portal. 

*Please note that different consulates have different requirements. You should visit the website of your local consulate or embassy to make sure you have everything you need.

Special note for international students:

If you are an F-1 student, to keep your F-1 status while abroad, you must:

  • Register as a full-time student.
  • Keep a local US address in Albert.
  • Get a travel signature on your I-20 before departing the US.
  • Check your F-1 visa to ensure it will be valid when you plan to return to the US. If you need a new one, review how to renew your U.S. visa.
  • Continue to check your NYU email while you're outside of the US. It's the only way we could contact you if there is any issue with your immigration record.
  • Talk to an advisor at the OGS prior to leaving if you want to work in the US right after you return.

If you are a J-1 student:

  • You must contact us immediately for guidance if you wish to study abroad for a semester or year.

Are you an international student and want to study or travel outside the US for more than 5 months? Contact us.