Special Considerations for Full Year Students

The Spanish Consulate will issue you a visa valid for only 90 days because after arrival full year students will need to apply for a residency permit. NYU Madrid will assist in this process. This process will require that the following documents be submitted to the local immigration authority after your arrival in Spain:  

Original passport & a copy

You will only submit the copy, but must have the original with you at the appointment.

Original visa (in your passport) & a copy

You will only submit the copy, but must have the original with you at the appointment.

Letter from NYU Madrid confirming dates of semester or academic year away and registration

Provided by NYU Madrid.

One ID photo

Must be taken in Spain to meet the local requirements.

Application form

NYU Madrid will provide instructions.

Proof of tax payment: 15.45€ (This is an approximate amount. The tax changes on a yearly basis.)

Must be paid at bank. NYU Madrid will provide instructions.

Spanish Entry Stamp in Passport OR Boarding Pass Confirming Date of Entry to Spain

If you arrived in Spain via another Schengen country (i.e. France, Italy, etc) you will not have a Spanish stamp in your passport. If this is the case, you will need to bring a copy of your boarding pass/train ticket.

If Your Passport Is Lost or Stolen

While traveling with NYU outside of the United States: 

  • Report the loss to the local police and get a copy of the police report.
  • Contact the OGS to inform us of the loss so that we can provide additional documentation and information to help you get a new passport and replacement visa as soon as possible.
  • Contact NYU site staff at your current study location immediately to notify them of the loss. This is particularly important if you have traveled outside of your site country and may be delayed returning to classes.
  • Contact your country's local consulate or Embassy in order to get a replacement passport. If you saved a copy of your now lost passport digitally, please print and bring with you for proof of identification.