Visa for NYU Madrid

Madrid, Spain

Just got accepted to NYU Madrid? Congratulations! Read on to find out how to get your visa for Spain. For information on program details and living recommendations, contact the Office of Global Programs or go to the NYU Madrid page.

PLEASE NOTE: The following resources are intended for students attending a study away program through the Office of Global Programs at NYU Madrid.

Find out if you need a visa

Determine whether you'll need a visa by using GlobalChek Plus.


  • GlobalChek Plus is a self-service immigration tool to help you determine whether or not you will require a visa to study away. This is NOT your visa application.
  • To use GlobalChek Plus, log in to -> click on GlobalChek Plus Login (bottom left side of page) -> run New Visa Query -> under Purpose of Trip, select STUDENT – STUDY AWAY PROGRAM @ NYU Madrid.
  • Note:
    • If you are a visiting student not enrolled at NYU, you will need to contact your program administrator or admissions office for information on getting access to NYU Home.
    • Please note, you must use your NYU email address.
    • If you are a citizen of more than one country, you can select multiple citizenships.
    • Your “origin country” is the country from where you will be departing.
    • Enter your NYU program dates.
    • Carefully review the “Travel Information” generated for you. The information will automatically be emailed to you.

Visa information: If GlobalChek Plus indicated a visa required prior to entry, use the resources below to identify your consulate and how to complete your visa application.

How long it takes to get a visa

The earliest time to apply for your Spanish visa is 3 months (90 days) before the NYU Madrid program start date. The Spanish Consulate generally takes 3-6 weeks to process visas. 

Prepare before you apply

Step 1

Make sure you have a valid passport.

If you do not have a passport or need to renew yours, use an expedited method to obtain it immediately. OGS will not be able to request the necessary immigration documents for you until you have a valid passport.

Step 2

Complete the Student Information Form.

Complete the form with your personal information exactly as it appears on your passport.  

Step 3

Submit a copy of the photo & signature pages of your passport to OGS.


Step 4

Receive visa supporting documents from the OGS.

Obtain supporting documentation from OGS, which include two acceptance letters (one in English and one in Spanish), APUNE form, and proof of health insurance. These four documents are required for your visa application.

Step 5 (for students going to Madrid for the full academic year ONLY)

Get medical clearance and good conduct letters.

  • Have your doctor complete this medical clearance letter.
  • For your criminal history report you can either get an FBI Identity History Summary Check (which can take 14-16 weeks); OR a state criminal history record (which takes 3-4 weeks). For students living in New York, see here.
    • Both the FBI background check and the state criminal history record need to be Apostilled.
  • You can request these both the medical and conduct letters before the 90-day visa application window opens.

Apply for a visa

Step 1

Find out which consulate you will apply for your visa at.

  • NYU students in NY can apply at the New York Consulate
  • Search the Spanish Consulates in the U.S. to determine where your local consulate is. You will have to prove your residency in the consulate’s jurisdiction with your driver’s license or student ID.
  • If you are an international student and will be applying for your visa in your home country, search the Spanish consulates abroad instead.

Step 2

Complete your visa application.

  • If you are applying at the New York Consulate, fill out this visa application.
  • If you are applying at Spanish consulate outside of New York, refer to their website for application details.

Step 3

Determine if you are eligible to have the OGS submit your visa application on your behalf.

  • If you live or go to school in the area listed for the New York Consulate's jurisdiction (New York, Connecticut, Delaware, Pennsylvania, or New Jersey), you can have the OGS submit your visa application for you.
  • If you will apply for your Spanish visa at a consulate other than New York, you must apply for your visa on your own.

Step 4

Submit your visa application.

  • If you are eligible to have the OGS submit your visa application for you, bring all your required visa application documents to the OGS by the advertised deadline. Check your NYU email; we will notify you of this deadline and give you further instructions.
  • If you are applying for a visa on your own, schedule an appointment with your local consulate and submit your visa application.
    • The majority of Spanish consulates in the U.S. require appointments for visa processing, so you should schedule your appointment as soon as possible. You can schedule this appointment before the 90-day visa window opens up.
    • The New York Consulate does not require an appointment. You can drop off your complete visa application from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday - Friday.
    • There is a visa fee, which varies depending on your citizenship. Check your local Spanish consulate's website for the rate based on your nationality. You will need to pay the fee with a money order.

Step 5

Receive your visa.

  • If you have the OGS submit your visa application on your behalf, we will email you when your passport and visa are ready to be picked up from our office.

Please note that different consulates have different requirements. You should visit the website of your local consulate or embassy to make sure you have everything you need.

Special note for international students:

If you are an F-1 student, to keep your F-1 status while abroad, you must:

  • Register as a full-time student.
  • Keep a local US address in Albert.
  • Get a travel signature on your I-20 before departing the US.
  • Check your F-1 visa to ensure it will be valid when you plan to return to the US. If you need a new one, review how to renew your U.S. visa.
  • Continue to check your NYU email while you're outside of the US. It's the only way we could contact you if there is any issue with your immigration record.
  • Talk to an advisor at the OGS prior to leaving if you want to work in the US right after you return.

If you are a J-1 student:

  • You must contact us immediately for guidance if you wish to study abroad for a semester or year.

Are you an international student and want to study or travel outside the US for more than 5 months? Contact us.