All Travelers Should

  • Have a valid passport, with at least 6 months validity beyond the expected return date and two blank visa pages
  • Have one hard copy of your passport and visa (carry-on luggage only)
  • Have copies of your passport and visa available electronically. If your passport/visa is lost or stolen, having a copy of it may help expedite replacement.
  • Leave copies of your passport/visa with an individual you would think to contact in an emergency (parent or guardian, spouse, trusted friend, etc.).

Consider booking or registering your travel via NYU Traveler. NYU Traveler was created to provide the NYU community with tools and services for their travel needs. University-related travel may be booked or registered through NYU Traveler.

Register With Your Home Country's Embassy

Before you travel to your destination, you should register with the local Embassy or Consulate in the host country.

Be an informed traveler and take the time to learn about the locations you are headed prior to arrival. Useful resources include:

Global Health Insurance via GeoBlue

Check with your Program Administrator to ensure you have been registered for global health insurance. If not, please be sure to purchase your own GEO Blue global coverage.

Traveling with Dual Citizenship

Students who hold dual citizenship (most notably students who are US citizens as well as citizens of a country that provides access to visa free travel to their host country) should take careful note to bring both passports with them when they travel.

Most importantly, if you are a US citizen you must always use your US passport when entering the US, regardless of which passport you used to enter your host country. When entering your host country, you should use the passport which provides you with the ability to enter visa-free.