Visa for NYU London
Immigration Process Overview
Get a Passport
Identify Your UK Immigration Category
Before Your Travel
After Your Arrival
Typical Timeline for Immigration Process
- October and March: Acceptance into study abroad programs
- Prepare documents for your visa application
- 180 days or 90 days (depending on visa category) before semester away start date: First day to submit visa application to the consulate (if applicable)
- 30 days before semester away start date: Deadline to apply for your visa (if applicable)
Special Note for International Students
If You Are a F-1 Student
To keep your F-1 status abroad you must：
- Register as a full-time student.
- Keep a local US address in Albert.
- Get a travel signature on your I-20 before departing the US.
- Check your F-1 visa to ensure it will be valid when you plan to return to the US. If you need a new one, review how to renew your U.S. visa.
- Continue to check your NYU email while you're outside of the US. It's the only way we could contact you if there is any issue with your immigration record.
- Talk to an advisor at the OGS prior to leaving if you want to work in the US right after you return.
If You Are a J-1 Student
- You must contact us immediately for guidance if you wish to study abroad for a semester or year.
Are you an international student and want to study or travel outside the US for more than 5 months? Contact us.
If you are applying from outside of the U.S., your consulate may require additional materials. We’ve done our best to compile a comprehensive list, but it is ultimately your responsibility to provide everything your consulate requires.
Upcoming NYU London Visa Workshops