Just got accepted to NYU Buenos Aires? Congratulations! Read on to find out how to get your visa for Buenos Aires. For information on program details and living recommendations, contact the Office of Global Programs or go to the NYU Buenos Aires page.
PLEASE NOTE: The following resources are intended for students attending a study away program through the Office of Global Programs at NYU Buenos Aires.
Find out if you need a visa
Determine whether you'll need a visa by using GlobalChek Plus.
- GlobalChek Plus is a self-service immigration tool to help you determine whether or not you will require a visa to study away. This is NOT your visa application.
- To use GlobalChek Plus, log in to https://home.nyu.edu/ -> click on GlobalChek Plus Login (bottom left side of page) -> run New Visa Query -> under Purpose of Trip, select STUDENT – STUDY AWAY PROGRAM @ NYU Buenos Aires.
- If you are a visiting student not enrolled at NYU, you will need to contact your program administrator or admissions office for information on getting access to NYU Home.
- Please note, you must use your NYU email address.
- If you are a citizen of more than one country, you can select multiple citizenships.
- Your “origin country” is the country from where you will be departing.
- Enter your NYU program dates.
- Carefully review the “Travel Information” generated for you. The information will automatically be emailed to you.
Prepare before you apply
Make sure you have a valid passport.
If you do not have a passport or need to renew yours, use an expedited method to obtain it immediately. OGS will not be able to request the necessary immigration documents for you until you have a valid passport.
Complete the Student Information Form.
Complete the form with your personal information exactly as it appears on your passport.
Submit a copy of the photo & signature pages of your passport to OGS.
If you will be studying abroad for an entire academic year.
You must compile the following: FBI Police Clearance, an original long-form birth certificate, and a police record from your home country (not required for U.S. citizens). All documents must be apostilled.
Students applying for a visa after arrival.
If you are applying for a visa after arrival, you will receive an email from OGS prior to departure detailing the in-country visa process.
If you need to apply for a visa ahead of time, please apply at the consulate closest to your current location. NYU students can apply at the New York Consulate with their student ID and school address.
Apply for a visa
- All students from Canada and Australia must pay a reciprocity fee before arriving in Argentina. You should do this as soon as possible after you are admitted to NYU Buenos Aires.
Contact us for further visa application instructions as soon as possible. You will be working with both the OGS and NYU Buenos Aires to obtain your visa.
Special note for international students:
If you are an F-1 student, to keep your F-1 status while abroad, you must:
- Register as a full-time student.
- Keep a local US address in Albert.
- Get a travel signature on your I-20 before departing the US.
- Check your F-1 visa to ensure it will be valid when you plan to return to the US. If you need a new one, review how to renew your U.S. visa.
- Continue to check your NYU email while you're outside of the US. It's the only way we could contact you if there is any issue with your immigration record.
- Talk to an advisor at the OGS prior to leaving if you want to work in the US right after you return.
If you are a J-1 student:
- You must contact us immediately for guidance if you wish to study abroad for a semester or year.
Are you an international student and want to study or travel outside the US for more than 5 months? Contact us.