Skip to All NYU Navigation Skip to Main Content

Visa for NYU Buenos Aires

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Have you been accepted to NYU Buenos Aires? Congratulations! Read on to find out how to get your visa for Buenos Aires. For information on program details and living recommendations, contact the Office of Global Programs or go to the NYU Buenos Aires page.

PLEASE NOTE: The following resources are intended for students attending a semester or full academic year at NYU Buenos Aires through the Office of Global Programs or their school or division.

Find out if you need a visa

All students attending NYU Buenos Aires must obtain a student visa, unless they are a citizen of Argentina. Your visa process will vary depending on your citizenship. OGS will contact you directly regarding your immigration path. 

Important: Not all students will need to apply for a visa before arriving in Buenos Aires.

Prepare before you apply

Step 1

Make sure you have a valid passport.

If you do not have a passport or need to renew yours, use an expedited method to obtain it immediately. OGS will not be able to request the necessary immigration documents for you until you have a valid passport.

Step 2

Complete the NYU Buenos Aires Immigration Form.

Complete the form with your personal information exactly as it appears on your passport.  

Step 3

Submit a copy of the photo & signature pages of your passport to OGS.

  • Must be a clear scan of the bio page (including the barcode at the bottom) and signature page (passport must be signed) of your passport.
  • Must be a scan, not a photo.
  • Must be valid more than 6 months beyond the end date of your program

Step 4

This step is only required for students who will spend an entire academic year in Buenos Aires.

You must request FBI Police Clearance, a police record from your home country (not required for U.S. citizens) and anywhere you have lived for more than 6 months in the last 3 years. All documents must have an Apostille

Step 5

Apply for your visa as directed by OGS.

OGS will contact each student with their immigration requirements. If you are applying for a visa before you depart for Argentina, please remain in touch with your advisor at OGS to ensure that you are completing the required steps. If you are applying for a visa after arrival, you will receive an email prior to departure detailing the in-country visa process. 

PLEASE NOTE: If you have been admitted to study at an NYU site abroad and are in the process of changing your name, gender, or any biographical information on your passport, we encourage you to complete that process before applying for a visa. If timing will not allow for this, we recommend that you wait to formalize these changes until your program has finished. Please contact OGS if you have any questions. 

Special note for international students:

If you are an F-1 student, to keep your F-1 status while abroad, you must:

  • Register as a full-time student.
  • Keep a local US address in Albert.
  • Get a travel signature on your I-20 before departing the US.
  • Check your F-1 visa to ensure it will be valid when you plan to return to the US. If you need a new one, review how to renew your U.S. visa.
  • Continue to check your NYU email while you're outside of the US. It's the only way we could contact you if there is any issue with your immigration record.
  • Talk to an advisor at the OGS prior to leaving if you want to work in the US right after you return.

If you are a J-1 student:

  • You must contact us immediately for guidance if you wish to study abroad for a semester or year.

Are you an international student and want to study or travel outside the US for more than 5 months? Contact us.