The following resources are intended for students who plan to study away at NYU Berlin for a semester or full academic year. Students participating in short-term programs should visit our Visa Short-Term Travel page for more information.

Have you been accepted to NYU Berlin? Congratulations! Read on to find out how to get your visa for Germany. For information on study away details and living recommendations, contact the Office of Global Programs or go to the NYU Berlin page.

If you have questions about your visa application or require assistance completing any application forms, please contact OGS or visit us during Advising Hours at the StudentLink Center.

Find out if you need a visa

ALL STUDENTS attending NYU Berlin must apply for a Student (Residence) Visa (unless you are an EU, EEA, or Swiss citizen traveling on a valid EU, EEA, or Swiss passport).

OGS will collect information from you upon acceptance to your semester or full academic year away to help determine how you will apply for your visa.

Some students may fall into a special group that are allowed to apply for a visa after arriving in Germany. OGS will contact you if this is your case. 

Failure to complete the required immigration processes will jeopardize your ability to arrive and remain at NYU Berlin for the semester and thus would force you to forfeit an entire semester of academic progress.

How long it takes to get a visa

Students who are required to submit a visa application prior to arrival in Germany must apply at a German Embassy or Consulate.

Generally, the earliest this can be done is 3 months (90 days) before the NYU Berlin semester start date. Visas are typically processed within 4-6 weeks of the submission date.

Prepare before you apply

Please note: access to links below will be granted upon admission to the semester or academic year away. 

Step 1

Make sure you have a valid passport.

If you do not have a passport or need to renew yours, use an expedited method to obtain it immediately. OGS will not be able to request the necessary immigration documents for you until you have a valid passport.

Step 2

Complete the NYU Berlin Immigration Form on your Enrollment Portal.

This form will be provided to you upon acceptance to the semester or academic year away. Complete the form with your personal information exactly as it appears on your passport.

Step 3

Submit a copy of the photo & signature pages of your passport to OGS via your Enrollment Portal.

  • Must be a clear scan of the bio page (including the barcode at the bottom) and signature page (passport must be signed) of your passport.
  • Must be a scan, not a photo.
  • Must be valid more than 6 months beyond the end date of your semester or academic year away

PLEASE NOTE: Per immigration regulations, all immigration documents (NYU support letters, visas, residence permits, etc.) will reflect the information indicated in your passport. If you have been admitted to study at an NYU site abroad and are in the process of changing your name, gender, or any biographical information on your passport, we encourage you to complete that process before applying for a visa. If timing will not allow for this, we recommend that you wait to formalize these changes until you have returned from your semester or academic year away. Please contact OGS if you have any questions. 

Apply for a visa or residence permit

You will be informed by OGS whether you will apply for a visa or residence permit. This will depend on your citizenship and current residence. 

Apply for a Visa

Step 1

Find out which consulate you will visit to apply for your visa and make an appointment.

  • If you are an NYU student currently in New York and are required to apply for a visa prior to arrival in Germany, you should apply through the German Consulate in New York
  • If you are applying for your visa outside of the US, search the German missions abroad instead. You will have to prove your residency in the consulate’s jurisdiction with your driver’s license or student ID.

Step 2

Complete your visa application.

  • If you are applying at the German Consulate in New York, fill out this visa application.
  • Review your NYU Berlin Visa Document Checklist and gather the required documents.
  • If you are applying in New York, please visit this link for the updated visa fee. If you are applying at another consulate, refer to their website for the visa fee.
    • You will need to pay the fee with cash or a money order only.

Step 3

Submit your visa application.

  • Gather all the materials required and proceed to the consulate at your appointment time/date.
  • Be on time; it is better to be an hour early than a minute late.
  • Be honest, patient, and polite.

Step 4

Receive your visa.

Please upload a scan of your visa to OGS via your Enrollment Portal once you receive it.

Apply for a Residence Permit

Step 1

Upload application materials to OGS.

If OGS determines that you will apply for your German Residence Permit after arrival at NYU Berlin, you will be provided with a list of required documents for your application.

Step 2

Travel to Berlin and submit documents to the Foreigner's Office.

NYU Berlin will assist you with the submission of your Residence Permit application to the Foreigner's Office. Please be prepared to surrender your passport to the Foreigner's Office for up to 10 business days.

Step 3

Receive your Residence Permit.

Your Residence Permit will be adhered to the inside of your passport. It will be returned to you once the permit is processed. 

Special note for international students:

If you are an F-1 student, to keep your F-1 status while abroad, you must:

  • Register as a full-time student.
  • Keep a local US address in Albert.
  • Get a travel signature on your I-20 before departing the US.
  • Check your F-1 visa to ensure it will be valid when you plan to return to the US. If you need a new one, review how to renew your U.S. visa.
  • Continue to check your NYU email while you're outside of the US. It's the only way we could contact you if there is any issue with your immigration record.
  • Talk to an advisor at the OGS prior to leaving if you want to work in the US right after you return.

If you are a J-1 student:

  • You must contact us immediately for guidance if you wish to study abroad for a semester or year.

Are you an international student and want to study or travel outside the US for more than 5 months? Contact us.