Visa for NYU Accra

Accra picture

Just got accepted to NYU Accra? Congratulations! Read on to find out how to get your visa for Ghana. For information on program details and living recommendations, contact the Office of Global Programs or go to the NYU Accra page.

PLEASE NOTE: The following resources are intended for students attending a study away program through the Office of Global Programs at NYU Accra.

Find out if you need a visa

Determine whether you'll need a visa by using GlobalChek Plus.


  • GlobalChek Plus is a self-service immigration tool to help you determine whether or not you will require a visa to study away. This is NOT your visa application.
  • To use GlobalChek Plus, log in to -> click on GlobalChek Plus Login (bottom left side of page) -> run New Visa Query -> under Purpose of Trip, select STUDENT – STUDY AWAY PROGRAM @ NYU Accra.
  • Note:
    • If you are a visiting student not enrolled at NYU, you will need to contact your program administrator or admissions office for information on getting access to NYU Home.
    • Please note, you must use your NYU email address.
    • If you are a citizen of more than one country, you can select multiple citizenships.
    • Your “origin country” is the country from where you will be departing.
    • Enter your NYU program dates.
    • Carefully review the “Travel Information” generated for you. The information will automatically be emailed to you.

Visa information: Visa required prior to entry. You must have Yellow Fever Vaccine to enter the country. NYU Health Center provides travel medical services.

How long it takes to get a visa

The earliest time to apply for your Ghanaian visa is 3 months (90 days) before the NYU Accra program start date. The average visa processing time is 2-4 weeks

Prepare before you apply

Step 1

Make sure you have a valid passport.

If you do not have a passport or need to renew yours, use an expedited method to obtain it immediately. OGS will not be able to request the necessary immigration documents for you until you have a valid passport.

Step 2

Complete the Student Information Form.

Complete the form with your personal information exactly as it appears on your passport.  

Step 3

Submit a copy of the photo & signature pages of your passport to OGS.


Step 3

Get vaccinated.

  • You must have your Yellow Fever Vaccination in order to apply for your Ghanaian visa. Contact NYU Travel Medicine Services to schedule your appointment. Be sure to book it before they fill up!
  • NYU recommends you get your vaccination 8-12 weeks prior to travel, but at the very latest, 4-6 weeks prior to travel will generally suffice.

Apply for a visa

Step 1

Find out which consulate you will apply for your visa at.

Step 2

Complete your visa application.

  • If you are applying at the NYC Consulate, fill out this visa application. If you are applying at another consulate, fill out the application provided on their website.
  • There is a visa fee, which must be paid by money order. Check your consulate’s website for the amount.
    • Some consulates offer the option of expediting your visa for an additional fee.

Step 3

Receive your visa.

Once you have your visa, you're ready to go. Pack those bags! Be sure to keep proof of your yellow fever vaccination with your passport when traveling.

Step 4

If you are an international student, you will need to apply for a Non-Citizen Registration Card.

If you are staying in Ghana for over 3 months (90 days) you must obtain a Non-Citizen Registration Card after arrival. The NYU Accra Site Staff will assist you with the process.

Special note for international students:

If you are an F-1 student, to keep your F-1 status while abroad, you must:

  • Register as a full-time student.
  • Keep a local US address in Albert.
  • Get a travel signature on your I-20 before departing the US.
  • Check your F-1 visa to ensure it will be valid when you plan to return to the US. If you need a new one, review how to renew your U.S. visa.
  • Continue to check your NYU email while you're outside of the US. It's the only way we could contact you if there is any issue with your immigration record.
  • Talk to an advisor at the OGS prior to leaving if you want to work in the US right after you return.

If you are a J-1 student:

  • You must contact us immediately for guidance if you wish to study abroad for a semester or year.

Are you an international student and want to study or travel outside the US for more than 5 months? Contact us.