Just got accepted to NYU Abu Dhabi? Congratulations! Read on to find out how to get your visa for United Arab Emirates. For information on program details and living recommendations, contact the Office of Global Programs or go to the NYU Abu Dhabi page.
PLEASE NOTE: The following resources are intended for students attending a study away program through the Office of Global Programs at NYU Abu Dhabi.
Find out if you need a visa
Determine whether you'll need a visa by using GlobalChek Plus.
- GlobalChek Plus is a self-service immigration tool to help you determine whether or not you will require a visa to study away. This is NOT your visa application.
- To use GlobalChek Plus, log in to https://home.nyu.edu/ -> click on GlobalChek Plus Login (bottom left side of page) -> run New Visa Query -> under Purpose of Trip, select STUDENT – STUDY AWAY PROGRAM @ NYU Abu Dhabi.
- If you are a visiting student not enrolled at NYU, you will need to contact your program administrator or admissions office for information on getting access to NYU Home.
- Please note, you must use your NYU email address.
- If you are a citizen of more than one country, you can select multiple citizenships.
- Your “origin country” is the country from where you will be departing.
- Enter your NYU program dates.
- Carefully review the “Travel Information” generated for you. The information will automatically be emailed to you.
Before you depart, prepare for your visa
NYU Abu Dhabi staff completes the entry permit on your behalf and emails it to you. This is NOT your student visa. You will obtain your visa after arrival in the UAE. Here are the steps you need to take before you depart.
Make sure you have a valid passport.
If you do not have a passport or need to renew yours, use an expedited method to obtain it immediately. OGS will not be able to request the necessary immigration documents for you until you have a valid passport.
Complete the Student Information Form.
Complete the form with your personal information exactly as it appears on your passport.
Submit a copy of the photo and signature page of your passport to OGS.
Please note that the copy must be full page, in color, and clear scanned, as described in Step 4.
Email a digital passport-style photo to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The photo must meet these specifications:
- Color head shot photo taken in front of a white background
- Both ears and chin to forehead must be visible
- Photo should be taken within the last 30 days
- Photo size should be 3.5 cm (1.4 in) x 4.5 cm (1.8 in)
- Photo needs to be saved as a high-resolution JPEG file with your name in the file name, e.g. "jane.smith.jpg"
Receive travel instructions and your entry permit from NYU Abu Dhabi.
- NYU Abu Dhabi will email you your entry permit. You must print and carry it with you along with your passport when you travel to the Abu Dhabi airport.
- Detailed travel instructions will be emailed to you by NYU Abu Dhabi prior to your departure.
After you arrive, get your visa
Get a medical exam.
Within the first 2 weeks of the semester, NYU Abu Dhabi staff will schedule a medical exam for you. The exam, conducted by the government, will include a blood test and a chest X-ray.
Receive your visa.
Once your medical exam has been conducted, UAE immigration officials will issue your student visa and biometric residence card.
Special note for international students:
If you are an F-1 student, to keep your F-1 status while abroad, you must:
- Register as a full-time student.
- Keep a local US address in Albert.
- Get a travel signature on your I-20 before departing the US.
- Check your F-1 visa to ensure it will be valid when you plan to return to the US. If you need a new one, review how to renew your U.S. visa.
- Continue to check your NYU email while you're outside of the US. It's the only way we could contact you if there is any issue with your immigration record.
- Talk to an advisor at the OGS prior to leaving if you want to work in the US right after you return.
If you are a J-1 student:
- You must contact us immediately for guidance if you wish to study abroad for a semester or year.
Are you an international student and want to study or travel outside the US for more than 5 months? Contact us.