Visa for NYU Abu Dhabi
The following resources are intended for students who plan to study away at NYU Abu Dhabi for a semester or full academic year. Students participating in short-term programs should visit our Visa Short-Term Travel page for more information.
Have you been accepted to NYU Abu Dhabi? Congratulations! Read on to find out how to get your visa for the United Arab Emirates. For information on semester away details and living recommendations, contact the Office of Global Programs or go to the NYU Abu Dhabi page.
If you are an NYU Abu Dhabi degree student, you will work directly with NYU Abu Dhabi to obtain your residence permit.
Find out if you need a visa
All students attending NYU Abu Dhabi must obtain a student visa unless they are a citizen of the UAE. In order for NYU Abu Dhabi to request student visas, all students will be required to complete the required steps indicated below.
Important: Your first entry into the UAE must be through Abu Dhabi.
Prepare before you apply
NYU Abu Dhabi staff completes the entry permit on your behalf and emails it to you. This is NOT your student visa. You will obtain your visa after arrival in the UAE. Here are the steps you need to take before you depart.
Please note: access to links below will be granted upon admission to your semester away.
Make sure you have a valid passport.
If you do not have a passport or need to renew yours, use an expedited method to obtain it immediately. OGS will not be able to request the necessary immigration documents for you until you have a valid passport.
Complete the OGS NYU Abu Dhabi Immigration Form in your Enrollment Portal.
This form will be provided to you upon acceptance to NYU Abu Dhabi. Complete the form with your personal information exactly as it appears on your passport.
Submit a copy of the photo and signature page of your passport to OGS via your Enrollment Portal.
- Must be a clear scan of the bio page (including the barcode at the bottom) and signature page (passport must be signed) of your passport.
- Must be a scan, not a photo.
- Must be valid more than 6 months beyond the end date of your semester away
Submit a digital photo to OGS via your Enrollment Portal.
The photo must meet these specifications:
- Color head shot photo taken in front of a white background
- Both ears and chin to forehead must be visible
- Photo should be taken within the last 30 days
- Photo size should be 3.5 cm (1.4 in) x 4.5 cm (1.8 in)
- Photo needs to be saved as a high-resolution (600dpi) JPEG file with your name in the file name, e.g. "jane.smith.jpg"
Receive travel instructions and your entry permit from NYU Abu Dhabi.
- NYU Abu Dhabi will email you your entry permit. You must print and carry it with you along with your passport when you travel to the Abu Dhabi airport. Your first entry into the UAE must be through Abu Dhabi.
- Detailed travel instructions will be emailed to you by NYU Abu Dhabi prior to your departure.
After you arrive, get your visa
Get a medical exam.
Within the first 2 weeks of the semester, NYU Abu Dhabi staff will schedule a medical exam for you. The exam, conducted by the government, will include a blood test and a chest X-ray.
Receive your visa.
Once your medical exam has been conducted, UAE immigration officials will issue your student visa and biometric residence card.