Skip to All NYU Navigation Skip to Main Content

Visa for NYU Prague


Have you been accepted to NYU Prague? Congratulations! Read on to find out how to get your visa for Prague. For information on program details and living recommendations, contact the Office of Global Programs  or go to the NYU Prague page.

PLEASE NOTE: The following resources are intended for students attending a semester or full academic year at NYU Prague through the Office of Global Programs or their school or division.

Find out if you need a visa

ALL STUDENTS must obtain a Long-Stay Visa in order to participate in the NYU Prague program (unless you are an EU, EEA, or Swiss citizen traveling on a valid EU, EEA, or Swiss passport). The majority of students will apply for a Long-Stay Visa for the purpose of “Other”. Those students who are enrolled in the Tisch FAMU program will apply for a Long-Stay Visa for the purpose of “Study”. This difference has to do with the registration of these institutions in the Czech Republic.

Visa information: Visa required prior to entry. You must receive your Prague visa documents from our office prior to beginning the visa application. These documents are sent from NYU Prague and include: confirmation of study, confirmation of accommodations, and proof of local health insurance in the Czech Republic. 

How long it takes to get a visa

The Czech Consulate’s visa process can take more than 3 months to complete, so it is critical that you get started immediately. U.S. students should begin their application process at least 3 months (90 days) prior to the program start date. International students should begin at least 4 months (120 days) in advance.

Prepare before you apply

Step 1

Make sure you have a valid passport.

If you do not have a passport or need to renew yours, use an expedited method to obtain it immediately. OGS will not be able to request the necessary immigration documents for you until you have a valid passport.

Step 2

Complete the Student Information Form.

Complete the form with your personal information exactly as it appears on your passport. This information will be sent to NYU Prague, and it will take approximately 2-3 weeks to produce immigration letters (including confirmation of study, confirmation of accommodation and proof of local health insurance in the Czech Republic) that you will need for your visa application.

Step 3

Submit a copy of the photo and signature page of your passport to OGS.


Step 4

Complete a Criminal History Record.

Apply for a visa

Step 1

Find out which consulate you will visit to apply for your visa.

  • NYU students in NY can apply at the Czech Consulate in New York
  • Search the Czech Consulates in the US to determine where your local consulate is. You will apply for your visa at your local consulate. You will have to prove your residency in the consulate’s jurisdiction with your driver’s license or student ID.
  • If you are an international student and will be applying for your visa in your home country, search for Czech Consulates abroad instead.

Step 2

Complete your visa application.

Step 3

Make an appointment to submit your visa application.

  • The Czech Consulate in New York requires you to make an appointment. Once you have your complete application, you can make an appointment by calling or emailing the visa section during the hours listed on the website. US citizens can drop off an application with the consulate's reception without making an appointment. 
  • Be prepared to pay a visa fee, which changes frequently. Check your consulate’s website before your appointment for the exact amount. You will need to pay the fee with cash or a money order only. Make your money order payable to the “Consulate General of the Czech Republic”.

Step 4

Receive your visa.

Once you receive your visa, you are ready to go.

Please note that different consulates have different requirements. You should visit the website of your local consulate or embassy to make sure you have everything you need. Please make sure you are looking at the requirements for a “Long-Stay Visa for Other Purposes”* and not for the student visa.

*For Tisch-FAMU 35mm Professional Track Students: You are getting the Long-Stay Visa for Study (Not Other Purposes), because FAMU is your official academic sponsor.


Special note for international students:

If you are an F-1 student, to keep your F-1 status while abroad, you must:

  • Register as a full-time student.
  • Keep a local US address in Albert.
  • Get a travel signature on your I-20 before departing the US.
  • Check your F-1 visa to ensure it will be valid when you plan to return to the US. If you need a new one, review how to renew your U.S. visa.
  • Continue to check your NYU email while you're outside of the US. It's the only way we could contact you if there is any issue with your immigration record.
  • Talk to an advisor at the OGS prior to leaving if you want to work in the US right after you return.

If you are a J-1 student:

  • You must contact us immediately for guidance if you wish to study abroad for a semester or year.

Are you an international student and want to study or travel outside the US for more than 5 months? Contact us.