Transfer out of NYU
If you are an international students who wants to transfer from NYU to another school, you must request the OGS to release your SEVIS record to your new institution.
F-1 students (currently studying, on OPT, or recently graduated) should follow the procedure below to request a release of their SEVIS records. Your transfer-out request must be completed within 60 days of your last date of attendance at NYU or within 60 days of the end of your OPT. Please note, you are only eligible to transfer your record to another school if the program start date at your new institution is within 5 months of your last day of attendance at NYU or the end date of your OPT.
J-1 students sponsored by NYU who wish to transfer to another school must speak with an OGS advisor.
How to apply
Start by compiling the following documents and information:
- A scanned copy of your I-94 record (if you are currently in the US)
- A scanned copy of the admission letter at your new school
- A scanned copy of the completed transfer form from your new school
(available from the international student services office at your new school), if applicable
Choose the date to transfer your SEVIS record.
The date you choose to have your SEVIS record transferred to the new school is the day you would like OGS to release your SEVIS record to your new school. Please allow 5 business days for processing. Please note:
- your transfer release date must be in the future and within 60 days of your last date of attendance at NYU or within 60 days of your OPT end date,
- your on-campus employment and/or your OPT authorization ends on the transfer release date,
- your NYU I-20 is no longer valid for travel to the US on the transfer release date.
Get the SEVIS code of your new school.
The SEVIS school code of your new school can be found on the new school's transfer form (if they have one) or by contacting the international student services office at the new school. If your new school has an electronic transfer form, please list firstname.lastname@example.org as the contact email address. If your transfer form asks you to provide the name of a Designated School Official (DSO) for NYU, you can list Tom Sirinides, Director of Interntional Student Services. For the NYU OGS phone number, list 212-998-4720.
Complete the transfer out request form.
You'll need all the documents and information we've listed above in order to successfully complete the transfer out request.
- Students who are transferring out of NYU but are not done with their degree must also update academics.
- Students must pay current and prior NYU balances. Learn more about when and how to pay your NYU bill.
Once your SEVIS record is released:
After your record has been released, you will need to work with your new school to get an updated I-20 that reflects your new academic program. Your new school must issue a new I-20 for you no later than 15 days after the start of your classes there.
If you plan to travel outside of the US once we release your record to the new school, you must have your new I-20 from the new school in order for you to be able to reenter the US after your transfer release date. Be sure to inform your new school of your travel plans.
Special note for new NYU students:
If you are a new NYU student requesting your SEVIS record to be transferred to another school, you must confirm with us that your program start date at your new school is within 30 days of your arrival to the US.