If you are returning from a leave of absence due to personal reasons:

Students intending to return in J-1 status should contact OGS. For students intending to return in F-1 status, in order to apply for a new I-20 you must:

Step 1

Please compile and scan these documents.

Your application must include:

  • A signed and dated letter from your academic department on department letterhead that indicates you are eligible to return to the program. Please see the template letter for your reference.  This letter must also include:
    • your full name and NYU ID number, and 
    • your new anticipated completion date (DD/MM/YY), and
    • the number of credits remaining
  • Bank statements proving you have sufficient funds to pay for one year at NYU or the remainder of your study if it is less than one year. Find your school’s estimated expenses
  • A copy of the photo page of your passport

Step 2

Submit a New I-20 Request for Academic Change Form below and select “Return from Leave of Absence” for a request reason.

Step 3

Receive your new I-20 and pay the SEVIS fee.

Complete the Form I-901 in order to pay.  Dependents in F-2 status are not required to pay the fee.

Step 4

Get your F-1 visa if applicable.

If your F-1 visa expired, apply for a new visa. See our get a new visa page for detailed instructions.

Step 5

Return to the US in F-1 status and report your arrival to OGS

You may enter the US up to 30 days before the start date on your new I-20. Review the list of documents to carry.  Report your arrival to the US within 10 days below:

If you have any problems submitting the online request, review our troubleshooting tips.

NOTE: In order to be eligible to apply to work off-campus employment such as CPT or OPT, you must be a full-time student for at least one academic year after you return from your leave of absence.