You need to let us know if you:

  • take a leave due to personal reasons (including military leave), 
  • withdraw, 
  • are given a suspension,
  • or you are dismissed from your program.

We can then further explain to you in detail what your options are, based on your situation. If you are an F-1 or J-1 student, you must submit a request to end your immigration status

We also recommend that you review NYU's policy on Leave of Absence and Term/Total Withdrawals to learn more about things you should consider and understand before taking any leave.

If you have any problems submitting the online request, review our troubleshooting tips.

Note that any of the above circumstances can impact your eligibility for F-1 CPT or OPT or J-1 Academic Training.

If and when you decide to return to NYU, you must discuss your return with your academic advisor/department. You will then need to apply for a new I-20 or DS-2019 from the OGS at least three months prior to your intended return to NYU.