Regain your status

Have you recently been approved for a new immigration status, such as H-1B or Permanent Residency, and need to end your F-1 or J-1 record with NYU?

F-1 and J-1 Students

Step 1

Make a scan of the approval notice, visa, and/or I-94 record that shows you have been approved for a new immigration status.

Step 2

Submit your end your F-1/J-1 status request. Select “new immigration status” and upload your documentation.

Keep your records

OGS will process your request and send you a confirmation once your F-1 or J-1 record has been ended.  OGS will also update your new immigration information in the university records. Please keep all of your previously issued I-20s/DS-2019s as proof that you maintained your F-1/J-1 status. If you have any questions about your new immigration status, please consult with a knowledgeable immigration attorney.