Extend Your Study
As an international student, you are granted a specific period of time to complete your degree requirements. You must complete your degree by the completion date listed on your I-20 or DS-2019. If you are unable to finish your degree requirements by that date, you must apply for a program extension before your current document expires.
Who is eligible?
- You must have completed a full course load every semester, and otherwise be in valid F-1 or J-1 status.
- You must have compelling academic or medical reasons for needing more time to complete your program.
- You must have sufficient funds to cover the remaining time needed to complete your requirements. If another individual, such as a family member, will sponsor you, that person must submit an affidavit of support in addition to proof of his or her funding ability. J-1 students must also maintain health insurance during this remaining time.
- You must not have failed classes repeatedly or been on academic probation repeatedly.
- You must apply no later than three weeks before your current I-20 or DS-2019 expires.
NOTE: Students who have repeatedly failed classes and/or repeatedly been on academic probation generally are not eligible to apply for a program extension because they have failed to make normal academic progress and therefore need to speak to an OGS advisor about ways to Regain Your F-1 Status.
How to apply
Determine Whom in Your Academic Department Can Confirm Your Academic Progress and Eligibility for a Program Extension
You will need to provide the name and NYU email address of your academic advisor, department chair, program coordinator, or faculty advisor in your academic department to the OGS in order to apply for a program extension. It’s helpful to speak with them first to discuss your request. Your academic advisor must confirm:
- your reason for needing an extension to complete your academic program,
- your academic plan for each term of the remainder of your academic program, and
- your new program completion date.
Please note that if you have been previously approved for a program extension and now need additional time, your academic advisor must confirm the academic progress you’ve made since your previous extension.
Submit an Online Request to OGS for an I-20/DS-2019 with Your New Program End Date
In order to submit your request successfully, you will need to upload scanned copies of:
- your most recent I-94 record
- proof of sufficient funds to cover the remaining time needed to complete your study (you will need to provide proof of $2,538 per month for living expenses, in addition to tuition, fees, health insurance, and any dependent expenses, if applicable)
- medical documentation (only needed if you now need to extend your program due to a medical reason). This documentation can either be:
- A letter that must:
- be on medical office letterhead and dated,
- state your name and NYU ID number or your date of birth,
- state when your medical condition that affected your academic studies occurred, and
- be signed by a licensed medical doctor, doctor of osteopathy, or licensed clinical psychologist.
- A copy of your previous I-20 that indicated you have previously been authorized for a medical leave or reduced course load.
- A letter that must:
If you have any problems submitting the online request, review our troubleshooting tips.
Once OGS receives both your request for an extension of program and the electronic confirmation from your department, it takes 5 business days to process your request. If approved, we email you the details of when and how to get your new I-20 or DS-2019 with the updated program end date.