As an international student, you are granted a specific period of time to complete your degree requirements. You must complete your degree by the completion date listed on your I-20 or DS-2019. If you are unable to finish your degree requirements by that date, you must apply for a program extension before your current document expires.
Who is eligible?
- You must have completed a full course load every semester, and otherwise be in valid F-1 or J-1 status.
- You have compelling and unavoidable academic or medical reasons for needing more time to complete your program.
- You must have sufficient funds to cover the remaining time needed to complete your requirements. If another individual, such as a family member, will sponsor you, that person must submit an affidavit of support in addition to proof of his or her funding ability. J-1 students must also maintain health insurance during this remaining time.
- You must apply no later than three weeks before your current I-20 or DS-2019 expires.
How to apply
Bring the following to the OGS during advising hours:
- Your I-20 or DS-2019, I-94 record, and passport
- Current financial documentation verifying your ability to support yourself
- A completed Request for I-20/DS-2019 Extension of Program (both you and your academic advisor or graduate program director must complete sections of this form)
An OGS advisor will review your application. If your request is approved, the advisor will issue a new I-20 or DS-2019 to you with a new completion date, which includes updating your SEVIS record.