Student in library

As an international student, you are granted a specific period of time to complete your degree requirements. You must complete your degree by the completion date listed on your I-20 or DS-2019. If you are unable to finish your degree requirements by that date, you must apply for a program extension before your current document expires.

Who is eligible?

  • You must have completed a full course load every semester, and otherwise be in valid F-1 or J-1 status.
  • You must have compelling academic or medical reasons for needing more time to complete your program.
  • You must have sufficient funds to cover the remaining time needed to complete your requirements. If another individual, such as a family member, will sponsor you, that person must submit an affidavit of support in addition to proof of his or her funding ability. J-1 students┬ámust also maintain health insurance during this remaining time.
  • You must not have failed classes repeatedly or been on academic probation repeatedly.
  • You must apply no later than three weeks before your current I-20 or DS-2019 expires.

NOTE: Students who have repeatedly failed classes and/or repeatedly been on academic probation generally are not eligible to apply for a program extension because they have failed to make normal academic progress and therefore need to speak to an OGS advisor about ways to Regain Your F-1 Status.

How to apply

Bring the following to the OGS during advising hours:

  • Your I-20 or DS-2019, I-94 record, and passport
  • Current financial documentation verifying your ability to support yourself
  • A completed Request for I-20/DS-2019 Extension of Program (both you and your academic advisor or graduate program director must complete sections of this form)

An OGS advisor will review your application. If your request is approved, the advisor will issue a new I-20 or DS-2019 to you with a new completion date, which includes updating your SEVIS record.