You do NOT need any letter or document from the OGS to invite a family member as a B2 visitor. If you wish to invite family members, other than your spouse or child, to visit the United States for a short time on a B2 visitor visa, you may provide them with the following:

  • A personal invitation letter, which should include your name, school, relationship to the applicant, name of applicant, applicant’s place and date of birth, dates expected to visit the United States, duration of visit, preferred arrival date, and whether you will provide financial support for the applicant’s visit. Here is a sample letter.
  • NYU enrollment verification.
  • Copies of your I-20 or DS-2019, visa stamp, and I-94 record.
  • Copies of your proof of financial support, such as bank statements, scholarship letters, and/or personal bank statements if you stated that you would provide financial support for the applicant during his/her stay in the US.

Note that an individual in B1 or B2 status is routinely admitted to the US for a six month period.

Special note for visitors from China:

Beginning November 29, 2016, travelers with a 10-year B1/B2, B1 or B2 visa in a People's Republic of China passport are required to enroll in the Electronic Visa Update System (EVUS) in order to be admitted to the United States in B1 or B2 status. Travelers using passports from Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR, Taiwan, or any passport other than a People's Republic of China passport are not affected by the EVUS enrollment requirement. Please review the EVUS enrollment information for further details.