US Passport

If your passport has expired, or you are a US citizen who has never before applied for a passport, you must get a new one before you travel internationally.

International Students

Contact the agency responsible for issuing passports for your home country to learn more about how to get a passport. Remember to keep your passport valid at least six months into the future.

If you renew your passport while you are a student at NYU, please provide a copy of your new passport photo and biography page to OGS.

US Citizens

If you are a first-time US passport applicant:

You MUST apply in person at an approved passport acceptance facility.

You are considered a first-time applicant if:

  • You are applying for your first US passport
  • You are under age 16
  • Your previous US passport was issued when you were under age 16

If you are not a first-time US passport applicant:

Learn how to:

If Your Passport Is Lost or Stolen

If your passport is lost or stolen while on an NYU Program outside of the United States:

» Report the loss to the local police and get a copy of the police report

» Contact OGS to inform us of the loss so that we can provide additional documentation and information to help you get a new passport and replacement visa as soon as possible.

» Contact NYU site staff at your current study location immediately to notify them of the loss. This is particularly important if you have traveled outside of your site country and may be delayed returning to classes.

» Contact your country's local consulate or Embassy in order to get a replacement passport. If you saved a copy of your now lost passport digitally, please print and bring with you for proof of identification.