Going home for the summer or planning a trip for spring break? Want to invite family members for a visit? You can find everything you need to know on traveling and reentering the US as an F-1 or J-1 student and helping family members come for a visit. And remember, the US government determines your and any family member's eligibility to enter the US. Be prepared and have the needed travel documents with you. 

Bon voyage!

Traveling somewhere?    


I-20 travel signature

Make sure you have a valid travel signature

  • Located at the middle of page 2 of your I-20; OR bottom right of page 1 of your DS-2019.
  • For students, your travel signature is valid for 1 year (unless the end date on your I-20 or DS-2019 is sooner). For those on post-completion OPT or Academic Training, it is valid for 6 months.
  • Find out how to get a new travel signature.



Take these documents with you:

  1. Passport with F-1/J-1 visa
  2. I-20 or DS-2019 (F-1 students, be sure you have your printed I-20)
  3. SEVIS fee receipt
  4. Proof of financial support (this may include personal or family bank statements, any financial support agreement, or copies of your fellowship or scholarship letter)
  5. Enrollment verification

Please note, you must also have any transit visas required for citizens from your passport-issuing country, for any country you might visit or pass through on your way to the US.

See more