Travel & Visitors
Going home for the summer or planning a trip for spring break? Want to invite family members for a visit? You can find everything you need to know on traveling and reentering the US as an F-1 or J-1 student and helping family members come for a visit. And remember, the US government determines your and any family member's eligibility to enter the US. Be prepared and have the needed travel documents with you.
Make sure you have a valid travel signature
- Located at the middle of page 2 of your I-20; OR bottom right of page 1 of your DS-2019.
- For students, your travel signature is valid for 1 year (unless the end date on your I-20 or DS-2019 is sooner). For those on post-completion OPT or Academic Training, it is valid for 6 months.
- Find out how to get a new travel signature.
- Passport with F-1/J-1 visa
- I-20 or DS-2019 (F-1 students, be sure you have your printed I-20)
- SEVIS fee receipt
- Proof of financial support (this may include personal or family bank statements, any affidavit of support, or copies of your fellowship or scholarship letter)
- Enrollment verification
- Effective January 26, 2021, all travelers entering the US require a negative COVID-19 test. [As of December 28, 2020 all travelers entering the US from the UK require a negative COVIC-19 test.] Air passengers are required to get a viral test within 3 days before their flight to the US departs. Travelers are also required to provide written documentation of their lab result to the airline or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19. More details regarding documentation for a negative test and FAQs can be found with the Centers for Disease Control.
- Travel after you finish your studies
- Have you been sent to additional screening at the airport when crossing immigration? Have you been denied or delayed entry into or exit from the US? Fix this by filing a request with the US government (it's called DHS TRIP).
- Effect of Arrest on Immigration Status
- Know Your Rights
- International Travel and Your Rights: Video from CUNY CLEAR