If you receive an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) from USCIS that has an error on it, you must correct the error to avoid having any problems in the future. To correct an error that USCIS has made, follow the instructions listed.

Step 1: Write a Letter of Explanation

Write a letter to USCIS explaining the situation.

In your letter, include:

  1. The date;
  2. The address of the USCIS office as indicated on your approval notice;
  3. Your personal identifying information: 
    • Full name as indicated on your I-20, 
    • Date of birth, 
    • SEVIS ID number, 
    • USCIS Receipt Number for the OPT EAD with the error;
  4. A detailed explanation of your situation (that the EAD was issued with incorrect dates);
  5. A statement indicating that you have enclosed supporting documentation on the correct information (for example, your incorrect EAD card and the dates that should instead have been on your EAD card, a copy of your previous Post-Completion OPT I-20 and previous Pre-Completion OPT EAD card);
  6. A statement requesting USCIS to mail the new corrected EAD card to you;
  7. The US address that you would like the new EAD card to be mailed to;
  8. Your signature.

See also this sample letter.

Step 2: Photocopy Your Supporting Documentation 

Make a photocopy of the original incorrect EAD card and your letter for your records before mailing to USCIS.

Step 3: Send Your Correction Request to USCIS

Send your letter, EAD card with the error, and other supporting documents via FedEx or UPS so that you can track the package. Keep a copy the shipment tracking information for your records.

If your application was approved by the Potomac Service Center, send the letter and supporting documentation to:

US Citizenship and Immigration Services

Potomac Service Center

2200 Potomac Center Drive, Stop 2425

Arlington, VA 20598-2425

If your USCIS receipt number does not begin with YSC or IOE, contact us and provide the first three letters of your receipt number so that we can instead provide you with the correct mailing address.

Step 4: Report to OGS Once You Receive Your Corrected EAD

Once you receive the corrected EAD card, scan it, and upload the scan to the correct OGS OPT reporting form. 

If the corrected EAD is for post-completion OPT, report this update to the Post-Completion OPT Reporting Form. In the “OPT Reporting” Section, select “Yes” to the question “Do you need to upload a corrected EAD received from USCIS?”

If the corrected EAD is for STEM OPT, report this update to the STEM OPT Reporting Form. In the “STEM Updates” section, select “Yes” to the option “Corrected EAD received from USCIS.”

An OGS advisor will then correct your SEVIS record and confirm with you once this is complete.