Health care in the US is very expensive. While you are a student at NYU, you are covered on one of NYU’s student health insurance plans or by a Student Health Insurance Office-approved alternative.

Once you complete your degree at NYU, in order to stay covered, you will need to find an alternative health insurance plan. If you are on an NYU health insurance plan, your coverage ends soon after you graduate. See this insurance information for graduating students for further details.

Remember that, in the US, you are responsible to pay your own medical costs unless you are covered by health insurance. The US government does not require that you have health insurance coverage as an F-1 student. J-1 students, however do have minimal health insurance requirements:

  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.

Nevertheless, we strongly recommend that both F-1 and J-1 students find a health insurance policy that suits your needs so you will avoid any unforeseen severe financial burden should you need healthcare during your remaining time in the US.

Resources for External Health Insurance Plans

If you already have a job lined up, check if your employer has an insurance plan and if so, when it becomes effective.

If you don’t have an employer, or your employer does not have health insurance benefits available to you, you can begin your search with these companies and resources. Please note that NYU maintains limited association with the companies/resources listed. You are ultimately responsible for procuring and maintaining a health insurance plan that suits your needs.