This type of employment authorization is for F-1 students who have been offered an internship with a recognized international organization. Such organizations include the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, the Organization of American States, and others. See a complete list of government designated international organizations.

Who Can Apply

  • You must be a full-time student at NYU in lawful F-1 status.
  • You must have been offered an internship position by a recognized international organization.

How to Apply

Step 1

Email the following to
  • Your I-20, I-94 record, and passport
  • A job offer letter from a recognized international organization
  • A letter from your academic advisor, stating:
    • that you are in good academic standing;
    • your anticipated completion of studies date;
    • his or her recommendation that you accept this internship.

Please allow up to 10 days for processing time.

Step 2

Prepare your application package

Wait until you've received your updated I-20,  then apply for International Organization employment authorization by mailing the following to the USCIS:

Step 3

Submit your application to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services  

Send your application to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services by FedEx or UPS. USCIS must receive it within 30 days of the date your I-20 was issued.

Mail your application to the Direct Filing Address for Form I-765 listed for foreign students.

Step 4

Apply for a Social Security Number

Once you are authorized for work with an international organization, you mustapply for a Social Security Number to get paid, if you don't already have one. 

Once You've Applied

USCIS routinely takes up to 90 days to process this type of application. Approval is NOT guaranteed, and you may not begin employment unless you have received written approval from the USCIS. If approved, you will receive an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from the USCIS granting you permission to work off-campus.


  • You may work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the school year, full-time (over 20 hours per week) during vacation periods.
  • You may not start employment until you have received an EAD or before the start date indicated on the EAD. You must stop employment by the EAD expiration date or by the date you finish your studies, whichever is earlier.
  • You must remain a full-time student and make full-time progress toward degree completion while working for the international organization.
  • Time spent working for an international organization does NOT count against your 12 months of Optional Practical Training.