Economic Need employment is for F-1 or J-1 students who have unexpectedly lost their funding for their NYU education that are beyond their control.

Who Can Apply

In order to qualify for Economic Need work permission employment, you must:

  • Have been a full-time student at NYU for at least one academic year.
  • Have an I-20 or DS-2019 issued by NYU.
  • Be able to document that the circumstances which led to your economic situation were unexpected and beyond your control. Examples include evidence of unexpected currency fluctuations, the unexpected loss of employment, or unexpected medical expenses incurred by you or your financial sponsor.
  • Be capable of continuing full-time studies and maintaining F-1 or J-1 status while engaged in Economic Need work permission.

You do NOT need a job offer to apply for Economic Need work permission.

How to Apply F-1 Students

Applying for Economic Need work permission is a two-step process:

After you are Authorized for Economic Need employment:

How to Apply J-1 Students

In order to obtain OGS recommendation, you must come to the OGS during walk-in advising hours with:

An OGS advisor will review your application materials. Please allow for up to 10 days processing time. This is not a routine application and is reviewed on a case-by-case basis. At times, an OGS advisor may recommend that you obtain further supporting evidence to document your claims.

If the OGS recommends Economic Need work permission, J-1 students receive a work authorization letter for this purpose.

After you are Authorized for Economic Need employment: