Make sure to explore your employment options based on your status as an F-1 or J-1 student. Once you get a job, make sure you get a Social Security Number (if you don't already have one). And don't forget about your tax responsibilities.

Off-Campus Employment

Off-Campus Employment Webinar

  • The information presented here was accurate on the date that the webinar was recorded (09/03/2020) and is subject to change. Since this webinar was recorded, there has been a change to the OPT application fee for those applications postmarked on or after October 2. Due to a court order, the fee change will not happen. The OPT application fee remains at $410 until further notice.
  • To access the recording, you must log in with your NYU ID and password using SSO ( You cannot use an external email.
  • This recording will be available until the end of the Fall 2020 semester (12/21/2020).


Resources on working in the US

For free information on how to look for a job and advice on US-style resumes and cover letters, connect with the NYU Wasserman Center for Career Development.


Thinking of starting your own business? If you're an F-1 student on OPT, you may be able to become a self-employed business owner in limited circumstances. Unfortunately, this type of advising is beyond our area of expertise. So, if you're serious about getting a business started, discuss your plans with an immigration attorney who works with a corporate attorney. See international students and entrepreneurship for more information about your options while you are in F-1 status. You can also find information on the US Citizenship and Immigration Services Entrepreneur Visa Guide which itemizes US visa options beyond F-1 and J-1 status.