Paper and Electronic Diplomas
The Office of the Registrar will be closed starting Friday, December 22nd at 4pm in observance of Winter Recess. The office will reopen on Wednesday, January 3rd at 9am. During this period, replacement diploma orders will not be processed or shipped. We will resume reviewing orders upon our return on Wednesday, January 3rd.
Approximately 8 weeks after graduation, your diploma will be mailed to your permanent address listed in NYU Albert.
The fastest way to receive your diploma is by providing a U.S. mailing address. Diplomas are mailed approximately eight weeks after you’ve received your degree and are trackable through USPS.
- Paper Diplomas are only available through mail. In-person pick-up of diplomas is not available at this time.
- If you have a financial hold on your account, your diploma will not be released until those obligations are fulfilled and you have been cleared by the Bursar.
Learn more about:
Your primary name is printed on your diploma by default. This is the name that is entered in NYU Albert and appears on your New York University transcript.
You can choose to have your chosen/preferred named printed on your diploma instead by updating your Diploma Options page in NYU Albert before your conferral date.
There are a few issues to take into consideration when changing the name appearing on your diploma from your primary to chosen/preferred name:
- You may need to use your diploma in conjunction with your official transcript for legal, immigration, or employment purposes. You could experience complications if the name on your diploma doesn’t match other documents like your transcript, passport, or birth certificate. We recommend printing your primary name on your diploma if you plan to live, study, or work outside of the U.S.
- If you are a student in one of our professional schools like law, medicine, nursing, or dentistry, you should take into account licensing requirements that often require you to use your legal name like State Bar applications and federal employment guidelines. Using a name other than your primary or legal name could result in the rejection, delay, scrutiny, and/or requirements for additional proof of identification association with any applications for employment, licensure, credentialing, visa applications, and/or processes that require verification of your education records.
We consider requests for a change of name following graduation for marriage, divorce, naturalization, or a court-ordered change of name. Each case is evaluated on an individual basis.
To request a change of name, you should first fill out the Change of Student Information form and include a document indicating the legal change and your new name.
Accepted documents include:
- Court order
- Marriage license
- Divorce decree
- Birth certificate
Submit the completed form and supporting documentation:
- In person at StudentLink.
- By email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If your documents and form come from a non-NYU email address, they must be notarized.
- By fax to 212-995-4154. Faxed documents must be notarized.
- By mail to: P.O. Box 910, New York, NY 10276-0910. Mailed documents must be notarized.
You have the option of requesting a Certified Electronic Diploma or Certificate (CeDiploma, CeCertificate) as a graduate of New York University.
A CeDiploma or CeCertificate is an official, secure, verifiable PDF version of your paper diploma that offers proof of education and is shareable with others, including employers.
A CeDiploma or CeCertificate differs from an eDiploma or eCertificate because it includes a unique 12-digit Certified Electronic Document Identifier (CeDiD) that allows for instant proof of your education using validation services.
The document is digitally signed and encrypted, while the electronic credential cannot be printed, making for a highly secure document.
You can also provide your CeDiploma or CeCertificate and validation URL with your resume to expedite verification processes.
Visit NYU Albert and:
- Click on Grades and Transcripts
- Click on the E-Diploma link
- Click on the CeDiploma link at the bottom of the page
- There is a $10.95 fee for this service
- CeDiplomas/CeCertificates are available for students who graduated after January 1, 2016. If you graduated before that date, you may order a CeDiploma/CeCertificate by following the ordering instructions below under “Replacement Diplomas"
Learn more about:
- Certified Electronic Credential and its features
- Frequently asked questions about the CeDiploma and CeCertificate
If you have graduated from NYU and lost your diploma, you may purchase a replacement diploma by completing the online form accessible in the Albert portal in the Other Resources tab.
You will then be redirected to the replacement diploma request page where you will be asked for:
- Your N number (in the Student ID field)
- Your degree/certificate type (in the Conferral Degree/Certificate field)
- The reason (e.g., original was misplaced or damaged) for replacement (in the text box)
- An international phone number, along with country code, for all international orders
- Note: non-English and/or special characters cannot be used, as they cannot print on shipping labels
Once your order has been submitted, please allow up to 2 weeks for processing and an additional 4-6 weeks for domestic delivery or 6-10 weeks for international delivery.
Additional Important Information:
- For login assistance, please contact email@example.com.
- Review the USPS list of temporarily suspended countries to ensure the updated delivery address is eligible to receive mail: https://about.usps.com/newsroom/service-alerts/international/
- UPS shipping is available for purchase
- Diplomas are issued only once. To assure the absolute integrity of the document, the University will under no circumstances issue a duplicate of an outstanding original. In the event a diploma is lost or damaged, the University will supply a replacement diploma only upon receipt of a request from the student (i.e., not a third party), proper deposition, and payment of the fee to cover the cost. Before issuing the replacement, we may require photo proof of the damaged diploma (or such portions of it as are available), or in the case of loss or complete destruction, the submission of a notarized affidavit.
- School of Engineering replacement diplomas are only issued with the institution name as it appeared on the original diploma at the time of conferral.
- Master of Philosophy diplomas are issued only upon request by the student. Though not a replacement, the instructions detailed above for Replacement Diplomas are applied.
- The student name will be the same as on your University record.
- Primary/Legal Name by default or chosen/preferred Name on record, if requested.
- For name changes, the name on the University record must be updated prior to submitting a replacement diploma request.
- Replacement diplomas reflect the original degree conferral date, the current formatting, and current signatories (e.g., NYU President, Provost, and School Dean)
For additional information and questions regarding Replacement Diplomas, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.