Voting is an extremely important civic duty as a U.S. citizen, and whether you choose to do so in New York or in your home state, NYU Votes aims to ensure that all eligible voters in the NYU community are able to cast their vote either in-person or by mail. We also encourage all NYUers to become involved with the process, through volunteering, advocacy work, and other engagement opportunities.
Key Dates Ahead:
- National Voter Registration Day: September 20
- New York State Registration Deadline: Mail-in applications must be postmarked no later than October 14 and received by October 19; in-person applications must be submitted no later than October 14.
- Registration deadlines for all 50 states.
- New York State Absentee Ballot Deadline: October 24 is the last day for the board of elections to receive applications by letter, telefax, or through the absentee request portal. November 7 is the last day to apply in-person for an absentee ballot. November 8 is the last day to postmark or hand deliver an absentee ballot.
- Absentee Ballot deadlines for all 50 states.
- Find your polling site locations and hours.
- Review the issues and condidates for the races in your state or district.
- Geneal Election: Tuesday, November 8
Registering now ensures you can vote in the Midterm Elections—in which all 435 seats in the House of Representatives and 35 of the 100 seats in the Senate—will be contested on Tuesday, November 8, 2022. Please take action now to register to vote—and then vote!
Voter registration deadlines vary by state—but generally range from early to late October, so register ASAP. Find out your state's deadline at vote.org/voter-registration-deadlines.
You can vote in-person or request an absentee ballot to vote by mail.
For in-person voting, polling places are located throughout New York City. You can ONLY vote at your designated polling place, so make sure you are at the correct polling site and Election District/Assembly District (ED/AD) for your address. Find your polling location or call the Voter Phone Bank at 1.866.VOTE.NYC for more details.
Absentee voting (a.k.a "mail-in voting" and "by-mail voting") is conducted by mail-in paper ballot prior to the day of an election. If you can't or don't want to vote in-person, learn how you can request an absentee ballot.
How to Vote By Absentee Ballot:
Want to Be Involved?
Fill out this form to receive the NYU Votes digital toolkit (for social media, emails, etc), to become an NYU Votes Ambassador, or to have NYU Votes present at your school gathering.
Don't see your event listed?
Be sure to tag your event in the NYU Events Calendar with the tag "nyu-votes" to be included in our feed of NYU Votes events.