Cancellations & Room Changes
Cancellations after the final 2021-2022 cancellation deadline (updated: July 22, 2021) are accepted only for specific reasons as outlined in the Housing License. The NYU Housing License is a commitment for both the Fall and Spring terms. Please note the following housing cancellation deadlines and related fees are non-negotiable. Cancellation fees are applied equally according to the published schedule and are never waived or applied to other balances. Please note, cancellation fees are deducted from the original reservation payment.
Eligible students must access the NYU Housing Portal to submit a cancellation request. Once in the portal, you will need to select "Cancel Housing" in the top menu bar. Please review the cancellation policy for full details.
Academic Year 2021-2022 Cancellation Schedule:
For all Fall 2021 Residents:
- Cancellations received by June 15, 2021 will NOT be charged a cancellation fee.
- July 22, 2021 is the final cancellation deadline. Cancellations received between June 16th and July 22nd WILL be charged a $1000 cancellation fee. Only school-approved cancellations will be accepted after July 22, 2021.
- School-approved cancellations (eg. withdrawals, deferrals, and leaves of absence) received after July 22, 2021 will be charged a $1000.00 cancellation fee.
New Incoming Spring 2022 Residents: (this does not apply to Fall 2021 residents)
- Only new Spring 2022 housing applicants have the opportunity to cancel their spring housing commitments. Fall 2021 residents do not have the ability to cancel their spring housing commitments outside of the school-approved cancellations noted below.
- December 10, 2021 is the final cancellation deadline. Only school-approved cancellations will be accepted after December 10, 2021.
- All new spring housing applicants are financially bound to the terms of the hosuing license unless they submit their cancellation requests by December 10th.
- There is no cancellation fee for new spring housing applicants who submit their cancellation requests by the published deadline.
- School-approved cancellations such as December graduations or confirmed Spring 2022 NYU-study away participation will not be charged a cancellation fee.
- School-approved cancellations such as withdrawals, deferrals, and leaves of absence will be charged a $1000.00 cancellation fee no matter when they are received.
Leave of Absence
NYU expects its students to maintain continuous registration in an academic program with the exception of summer breaks. However, at times it is necessary or desirable for a student to take a leave from enrollment for a period of time. Such leaves may be voluntary or involuntary, and will be handled in accordance with the NYU Student Leave Policy. Students must also refer to the bulletins and websites of their specific schools or visit their schools administrative offices for additional information concerning the impact of a voluntary or involuntary leave and any additional requirements for a leave of absence.
Information about the University Student Leave Policy can be found at this link.
To cancel housing, due to an approved Leave of Absence, students must submit official documentation with their school. Housing charges will be incurred up to the point of check-out.
There are two types of Leaves of Absence, and it is important to note that not both allow a student to retain their housing guarantee.
- Medical Leave - Students on Medical Leaves must receive clearance from The University Health Center before they can return to housing. Students will receive information and instructions via email about returning to housing.
- Personal Leave - Students who maintain matriculation, but are not enrolled may be approved for a personal leave. Students on a Personal Leave of Absence do not maintain their renewable housing status. Please note, a $1,000 cancellation fee will be applied.
A student who officially withdraws from the University will not be permitted to remain in housing. Housing charges will be incurred in accordance with the terms of the housing license, and a $1,000 cancellation fee will be applied if the withdrawal date falls outside the published cancellation period.
Students graduating in December may cancel their housing for the Spring term, and are expected to check-out of their Fall 2021 housing assignments within 24 hours of completing their last final exam, or by Noon on Friday, December 22, 2021, whichever comes first.
Students who have accepted admissions to an NYU-approved study away program do not need to complete a cancellation form. While away, students will receive information and instructions via email about returning to NYU-NY housing.
Students who are residing in NYU-NY for the Fall 2021 term and are studying away for the Spring 2022 term must check-out of their Fall 2021 housing assignment within 24 hours of completing their last final exam, or by Noon on Friday, December 17, 2021, whichever comes first.
Petition for Release
The cancellation deadline for housing has been updated to July 22nd (from July 15th). If you need to cancel your housing outside the published cancellation period, and do not meet the criteria itemized under cancellations, you may petition for special consideration. This process is in place for students who can document a change in their personal circumstances, which has occurred after the final cancellation deadline, that supports their request to be released from the terms agreed to in the housing license.
Typically, successful petitions are able to easily document significant changes in one's financial, medical, or family circumstances that would necessitate a release from one's housing commitment. Any petition that is approved carries a non-negotiable $1,000 cancellation fee and any appropriate pro-rated housing charges. The petition for release form can be accessed by logging into the housing portal via the Housing Forms card in NYU Home.
Bed-for-Bed Exchange Forum
This process provides residents with a forum to “swap” spaces with one another. By checking the box within the Bed-for-Bed Room Exchange section of the housing portal, you authorize the Office of Residential Life and Housing Services to share your contact information (email address, building location and type of room accommodation) with all other students interested in considering a bed-for-bed room change.
Once you opt into the forum, you will be able to search for an exchange online through the Housing Portal based upon your gender preference and classification. To opt into or out of the process you can check or uncheck the box within the Bed-for-Bed Room Exchange section of the Housing Portal at any time. Only those students who have opted into the process will be able to use the online search tool to search for participating rooms.
Availability: Beginning September 7th, the forum can be accessed by all residents by logging into the housing portal via the Housing Forms card in NYU Home.
Room Change Requests
Beginning September 7th, the room change request form can be accessed by all residents by logging into the housing portal via the Housing Forms card in NYU Home.
Our ability to accommodate room/building changes is based solely on the availability of space. When vacancies are available, different types of room changes are possible depending on the individual student's needs.
Please note that housing rates are different from building to building, and related to room type within a building. Some buildings may also require enrollment in a meal plan. Please be sure to review our rates in advance of accepting a room change offer.
Requests Submitted During the Academic Year:
During the academic year, requests are reviewed at the beginning of each week. If one of your assignment preferences is available, we will send you an offer for you to either accept or reject. The only reason we would not accommodate a room change request would be if there was no vacancy that matched your list of preferences. Students can always revisit their room change requests in the housing portal to add ro remove building preferences for additional consideration.
Requests Submitted During the Summer:
During the summer, academic year room change requests are reviewed regularly. If a change is possible, it will be completed automatically based on the preferences provided on the form. You will not have an option to accept or decline the change, so you should only list options that you definitely prefer over your current assignment. If roommates wish to be reassigned together, each person must submit their own request which lists all other preferred roommates. Please note, we will not be in contact with you unless a room change can be accommodated.
The only reason we would not accommodate a room change request would be if there was no vacancy that matched your list of preferences. If we have the vacacnt space available, we will gladly accommodate as many requests as possible. It is also worth noting that private rooms consist of less than 3% of our inventory. Over 97% of rooms are shared, which means that the likelihood of being able to accommodate a room change to a private room is very small.