NYU Halal Dining Program
NYU Dining provides Halal certified meals at 3 locations across campus:
- Lipton is certified at the highest level of Halal certification through Halal Food Standards Alliance of America. As well, Lipton will have an on-site Halal supervisor.
- The Marketplace at Kimmel features Halal meals catered by Lipton Dining Hall.
- Jasper Kane Cafe features a dedicated station certified by the Halal Food Standards Alliance of America.
Please note that our Halal Fresko Grab n' Go products located throughout campus have not been certified by the Halal Food Standards Alliance of America. Please visit this webpage to view Fresko's Halal certification.
What is a Halal Diet?
In the most general sense, the word halal is used to describe those things that are religiously allowable for Muslims. A halal diet can be made up of cuisines of every kind so long as the ingredients utilized follow Islamic dietary guidelines. The overall purpose is to provide a well-balanced, wholesome eating lifestyle that understands the relationship between spiritual growth and food consumption.
Some of the main guidelines followed in a halal diet:
• no pork or pork by products.
• no blood, alcohol, or items cooked with alcohol.
• butchering of animals that includes hand-slaughtering
What is the Halal Certification Program?
Halal Food Standards Alliance of America (HFSAA) Halal Certification Program is a system to provide assurance that the food on your plate has been thoroughly vetted to meet a high standard of Halal which is inclusive of the personal Halal standards of the vast majority of people. HFSAA Standards require the following:
· The entire facility to be ritually cleansed and tested to confirm that there are no traces of porcine, alcohol, and other prohibited products remaining.
· Every product used to prepare meals to be thoroughly vetted by our team to be free of any prohibited ingredients.
· The HFSAA staff conducts regular audits to ensure that the facility is staying in adherence to HFSAA's standards, to train & educate employees, and to answer any questions.
Questions about the halal program? Please contact AskCampusServices@nyu.edu or 212-998-4900.