NYU’s official online community that facilitates knowledge sharing, networking, and mentorship among NYU students and alumni.
Violet Network makes it easy for the NYU community to connect and support one another.
It’s a dedicated online network where you can choose to give advice or get advice through a “flash” meeting or for a longer, sustained period of time.
In Violet Network, alumni and students ask questions and seek guidance, coach and inspire, and find paths to professional aspirations.
What Happens After I Sign Up?
Violet Network will recommend professional networking connections based on your profile information. Make sure your profile is accurate and up to date with your education, work, and volunteer experience.
You decide how you would like to be involved in the Violet Network. You can give advice, get advice, or do both! Students and alumni have access to both features.
How is it Different from LinkedIn?
With Violet Network, students and alumni are opting in to offer advice based on their professional and academic experiences. You can receive more specialized attention from trusted NYU community members, and search for/directly schedule time with them to meet one-on-one.
With LinkedIn, you can reach out to others but can’t know when or if someone will respond. With Violet Network, you can also pose direct questions to the community members, join affinity groups, and opt-in yourself to pay it forward and share experiences back with the community.
Key Benefits for Students & Alumni:
The platform allows students and alumni to connect with others in the NYU community who have volunteered to share their professional expertise and advice. When they join, they will be able to:
- Expand their network within a trusted NYU community
- Connect with others in their region or industry of interest
- Access educational and career resources to support them in their career development
- Join affinity groups and community discussions
- Get advice or give advice to others in the community
How Can I Get the Most Out of the Violet Network?
- Network via Explore the Community and search to find others in your areas of interest. Connect online, set up a video chat or meet in person.
- Join a group. Check out the groups created based on region, identity, or interest. Groups are a great way to learn about industry trends and regional events in the NYU Network.
- Start a discussion. Use the discussion tab to post or answer questions.
- Access resources. Explore articles, webinars and tools posted in the resources section.
NYU Wasserman developed resources to help you share Violet Network with your student and alumni populations, colleagues, or any other internal and external constituents you work with. For access to the staff overview document, email email@example.com.