There are many ways in which NYU students can engage with employers in order to find job/internship opportunities and access career advice. The On-Campus Interview (OCI) program is one of those avenues for NYU juniors, seniors, and graduate students specifically.
September through April, organizations from a wide variety of industries connect with the Wasserman Center to interview both undergraduate and graduate students for their open full time roles or internships. This year, OCI will be operating under a hybrid model. Interviews will be conducted both in person at the Wasserman Center, or virtually, depending on the preferences of the employer.
OCI is open to students in the Class of 2023 for full-time employment after graduation (excluding Law, Medicine, Dentistry and M.B.A. students) and students in the Class of 2024 for summer 2023 internships.
Participate in OCI
To obtain access to OCI, students must complete the virtual orientation and quiz. Students who are eligible for this year's OCI cycle, and who complete the Orientation quiz, will have access to OCI positions within 3 business days.
We highly recommend that students have their resume reviewed and prepare for interviews by scheduling an appointment with a career coach. A sharp resume, powerful cover letter, and polished interviewing and professional networking skills are the keys to success in a job or internship search.
Cancellations of on-campus interviews must be made no less than three business days prior to the scheduled interview date. If you cancel within two business days or are a no-show, your OCI access will be immediately suspended. If you would like to appeal, please call the Recruitment desk at 212.998.4737 to schedule an appointment with the Recruitment Manager to discuss your situation.
- We ask employers to give students three weeks to decide about full-time job and summer internship offers.
- If a summer internship is converted to a full-time offer, students have until October 1, 2022 to decide.
- After accepting an OCI offer, please email email@example.com.
By participating in the OCI program, I agree to the following:
- All information found on my resume, unofficial transcript, Handshake profile and other social media platforms is up-to-date, truthful and accurate.
- I will not share my login information with other individuals from NYU and peer institutions.
- I give permission to OCI to provide my resume and other job search documents to prospective employers.
- I will honor all interview and employer commitments. Cancellations of on-campus interviews must be made up to three business days prior to the scheduled interview date.
- I will sign up for interviews with only those employers for whom I am interested in working.
- I will exercise professional conduct during any and all recruitment related activities, including interactions with the Wasserman Center staff.
- I will notify the employer on a timely basis of acceptance or non-acceptance of an offer, either verbally or in writing.
- After accepting an offer, I will withdraw myself immediately from the OCI recruiting process by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If I renege on a verbal or written offer, my Dean will be contacted.
- I will not share any jobs listed in Handshake with another recruiting entity or post to another job site.
- I accept that failure to adhere to the OCI honor code may result in the termination of my interview privileges.
- September 1: Fall term classes begin
- September 2: Employer presentations begin (full-time and internship)
- September 5: Labor Day*
- September 6: Interviews begin (full-time and internship)
- September 16: Virtual Full Time and Internship Fair
- September 26 - 27: No interviews or events*
- October 5: No interviews or events*
- October 10 - 14: Fall Break*
- November 23 - 25: Thanksgiving Break*
- December 14: Last day of fall classes
- December 14: Last day of interviews
- December 14: Last day of employer presentations
*No interviews or events
Am I eligible for OCI?
OCI is open to NYU juniors, seniors, and graduate students enrolled in a degree program. Students are able to use OCI for two cycles; once for internships and once for full-time roles.
NYU Law, Medicine, Dentistry and M.B.A. students are not eligible to participate in OCI. We encourage students in these schools to connect with their school’s independent career center for recruitment support.
To gain access to OCI, students first need to complete a virtual orientation and quiz, which is open between August and May of each year. Once you complete the quiz, if you are eligible, you will gain access to OCI within 2-3 business days.
When does OCI take place?
OCI occurs during both semesters of the academic year, with employer presentations and interviews beginning in early September and ending in mid-May. You can see important dates for the current semester above.
I’m not OCI eligible. How do I access job or internship opportunities outside of OCI services?
Please check the Handshake job board for all open opportunities! There are thousands of postings for internships and full-time jobs available. Additionally, Wasserman offers a large number of career fairs, information sessions, and other networking events to connect with employers throughout the school year, all of which can also be found on Handshake. We encourage students to check the Violet Network or LinkedIn to connect directly with alumni that work in the field.
Our team of Career Coaches at Wasserman are available to guide you in your job search planning and strategy. Students are encouraged to schedule a coaching appointment via Handshake to discuss their personalized job search strategy with a coach.
Are there specific industries that utilize OCI more than others? Can I obtain a list of OCI employers, or reach out directly to OCI recruiters?
Diverse employers from a range of industries utilize OCI each year. It varies year to year depending on recruiting needs. We do not provide a list of common OCI industries or companies.
Additionally, we do not directly provide recruiter information for privacy reasons. Students who are interested in directly connecting with a recruiter or hiring manager should check Handshake and/or an organization's corporate website for job opportunities, as these postings often contain contact information for recruiters or hiring managers.
I need to cancel my OCI interview. What do I do?
We highly discourage canceling an interview with an employer. However, should you need to cancel or reschedule, you must notify both the employer and the Recruitment team no less than 2 days in advance of your scheduled interview. Canceling an interview with less than 2 days notice will result in your removal of OCI participation.
If you have an emergency or have accepted another offer, please contact the Recruitment Team, as we are able to make exceptions for these circumstances.
I have not received an email confirmation about my interview, when should I expect an email?
After you have signed up for an interview slot, the employer will contact you prior to your interview time. This communication will often not come until the day or evening prior to the interview. If you have still not been contacted by the employer by the morning of your interview day, please email the Recruitment Team at email@example.com.
What are information sessions? If I don’t have an interview, can I still attend an information session?
During the school year, Wasserman hosts and shares numerous information sessions (also known as employer presentations), featuring a wide array of employers. Some information sessions are held virtually, but many of them occur in person at Wasserman. No matter the format, students can access a current list of information sessions on Handshake in the Events section.
During an information session, recruiters will present to students about their company, speaking about its mission, vision, and work culture. Information sessions are a great way for students to learn more about specific industries or companies, and directly interact with recruiters who represent these companies.
Please review the Information Session description carefully to understand their hiring criteria and if your school year or major matches their needs.
I’m an international student, am I eligible to participate in OCI?
Absolutely! Both F-1 and J-1 visas allow for practical employment off campus in a student's field of study. Learn more about Navigating Conversations with Employers about Work Authorization.
I’m currently studying abroad. Am I eligible to participate in OCI?
Yes, you are eligible for OCI while studying away. If you are selected for an interview, please sign up for an interview slot in eastern standard time, and then reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible so that we can confirm with the employer that they would be willing to conduct a virtual interview with you.