After you are hired, please complete the following steps as either a New Student Employee or a Returning Student Employee.
Due to taxation and legal implications, NYU is making efforts to minimize employment for students living outside of the U.S.
All NYU New York students (domestic and international) who are residing in the U.S. are eligible to be hired for on-campus positions.
Learn more below:
Undergraduate students who are living outside of the U.S.
Undergraduate students who are living outside of the U.S. are eligible to work remotely if they were employed remotely during Fall 2020, have a valid I-9 on file, and have a U.S. bank account
Graduate students who are living outside of the U.S.
Graduate students who are living outside of the U.S. are eligible to work remotely if they were employed remotely during Fall 2020, have a valid I-9 on file, and have a U.S. bank account. In the case that a graduate student is hired for a Spring 2021 teaching or research position and is residing outside of the U.S and cannot return to the U.S. at any time during Spring 2021, and meets the eligibility criteria (has a valid I-9 on file and a U.S. bank account), converting the position to a fellowship as a last resort is permissible. If your hiring department needs more information on how to convert a position to a fellowship, they can contact Tony Bonano - firstname.lastname@example.org
The Wasserman Center physical locations will be open in the Fall 2021 semester on a modified schedule. Please email email@example.com for remote I-9 and other onboarding instructions.
Step 1: Complete the Initial Appointment Form
- Log in to Albert, click "Other Resources" at the top of the page, and then click "Wasserman" and "Get Started".
- Submit the Initial Appointment Form (Form B) by clicking "Agree and Print". You do not need to physically print the form. You may print a copy of the form if you need it to apply for a job, but this is not an approved form.
Step 2: Complete an I-9 (Remote Process)
Please use the following remote I-9 process while the Wasserman Center remains remote due to COVID-19. Per federal guidelines, NYU is allowing the completion of I-9s through a remote authorized agent which can include someone 18+ who is your friend, neighbor, family member or another adult.
- Access and print out the required I-9 and remote authorization agent form.
- You and your authorized agent must login for one of our group Zoom appointments (please see schedule):
Monday: 9AM-11AM ET, 2PM-4PM ET
Tuesday: 11AM-1PM ET, 5PM-7PM ET
Wednesday: 12PM-2PM ET, 5PM-7PM ET
Thursday: 11AM-1PM ET, 2PM-4PM ET
Friday: 9AM-1PM ET
- Students must bring original I-9 IDs to the Zoom meeting. Examples of acceptable IDs for domestic students include a US Passport or Permanent Resident Card or Driver’s License w/ a Social Security Card or Driver’s License w/ a Birth Certificate. Required IDs for international students include a valid Foreign passport, valid I-20 or Ds-2019, and a valid I-94.
- A staff member on the on-campus employment team will walk you and your authorized agent through how to fill out the forms properly.
- Once the Zoom appointment is over and you’ve completed both the I-9 and remote authorization agent form you must upload these forms and your acceptable IDs into Peoplesync by logging into NYU Home, Peoplesync, Personal Information, More, and Worker Documents. Add and save the scans of your I-9 and documents under the category “supporting I-9 documents” -Electronic Signatures are NOT permitted.
- Please fill out this form to let us know your I-9 is completed.
Step 2b: Complete an I-9 (In-person Process)
Once our offices re-open in the Fall (scheduled for Fall 2021) Complete the I-9 , W4, and direct deposit forms through PeopleSync (NYU’s system for Human Resources, Payroll, and Benefits). This must be completed within 1-3 business days of your first day of employment.
- Undergraduate students will receive an email from PeopleSync within 24-48 hours of submitting the Initial Appointment Form with instructions on how to complete the I-9, W-4 and direct deposit forms.
If you do not receive the email within 24-48 hours, log in to PeopleSync to complete your I-9, W-4 and direct deposit forms, which will be available in your inbox or by searching for the form name in the search bar.
- Graduate students will not receive an email and should log in to PeopleSync directly to complete the I-9, W-4 and direct deposit forms, which will be available in your inbox or by searching for the form name in the search bar.
- International students only need to complete the I-9 and direct deposit forms on PeopleSync. (An NYU Glacier account will be prepared for you to complete the W-4 and other tax documents.)
- You must use the following required documentation to complete the verification of your I-9.
- International students who do not have a Social Security number must apply for a social security number with the Office of Global Service.
- After applying for a SSN, have the following required documentation for the completion of your I-9 form:
- Receipt of SSN application
- Foreign Passport
- J-1 Visa/DS-2019 Form OR F-1 Visa/I-20 Form OR EA-Card Visa
- Please note: International Students are not required to have the receipt of SSN application before completing their I-9 due to COVID-19 delays at the Social Security Administration.
Students Who Are 25 and Under
- NY State requires one document during I-9 processing that indicates the student’s date of birth for proof of age. Documents that include the date of birth include the U.S Passport, Permanent Resident Card, Driver’s License, or Birth Certificate.
New York Wage Theft Prevention Act
- Effective 4/9/11, the New York Wage Theft Prevention Act amends and strengthens Section 195 of the Labor Law. Upon hire, all student employees will receive and sign a notice from the NYU hiring department. This notice will include employer information, the employee's rate of pay, frequency of pay, and overtime pay rate.
Submit the Reappointment Form. Log in to Albert, click "Other Resources" at the top of the page, and then click "Wasserman".
- Returning student employees who are U.S. citizens and Permanent Residents who submit a Reappointment Form will be electronically approved before 1-3 business days. International students who submit a Reappointment Form must show proof of work authorization by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org for approval.