Alumni Career Coaching Appointment
We offer a variety of career coaching support to NYU alumni. Learn more about our coaching appointments, scope of services, and policies below!
Against the backdrop of the lingering risks and uncertainty of COVID-19, on-campus, in-person benefits and services remain unavailable to alumni at this time. The Wasserman Center’s alumni career services will continue to be offered virtually until further notice.
For more in-depth career questions, you can schedule a 30-minute appointment with a career coach. We can work with you to discuss your interests and skills, create an action plan for your job search, prepare for an interview, and more. These appointments are best for:
- Discussing job search strategies
- Exploring new careers
- Conducting a mock interview
- Considering a career change
- In-depth career questions
We offer career coaching services to alumni with an Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's, Graduate Certificate, or Doctoral degree from the following list of schools.
- If you graduated more than 5 years ago, we offer up to 3 appointments per calendar year. All appointments are subject to availability, as listed in Handshake*.
- NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU Shanghai, Stern School of Business (Graduate), School of Law, School of Medicine, and College of Dentistry alumni are not eligible for our services and should seek assistance through their NYU school or department.
- School of Professional Studies alumni may access the NYUSPS Wasserman Center for Career Development for additional coaching appointments.
- NYU Tisch School of the Arts alumni can find additional services through the Tisch Office of Career Development.
- Wagner Graduate School of Public Service alumni have access to additional services through the Wagner Office of Career Services.
*Please note: during our busy seasons, wait times for an appointment can be up to 3 weeks. For time-sensitive career questions we encourage you to utilize our same day appointments.
While we recognize that every career journey is unique, there are some requests that extend beyond our scope of services. We are unable to provide appointments over email or Handshake messenger, resume and cover letter writing services, technical/computer trainings, industry specialized or legal advice, alumni or employer contact information, or job placement services. Instead, we encourage you to take a proactive role in your professional development and will work with you to identify and take action on your career-related goals.
At least two business days prior to your appointment, please send the career coach your goals/questions for the meeting, and any relevant materials you would like us to review. All appointments are virtual appointments at this time, and can take place through our career platform Handshake, over the phone, or via Zoom. For phone calls, please put your contact information in the comment section of your appointment request in Handshake. We will reach out to you directly during your scheduled time.
Our role as a career coach is to listen, provide you with career advice, and identify strategies and resources to support your next steps. During the meeting we may also ask questions about your current and past work experience, academic background, job search techniques, and other professional development activities.
We work to provide you with specific next steps to follow up on after our appointment ends, and may also send you additional resources via email. Most alumni meet with us one or two times as they consider next steps in their career. If you decide to schedule a follow up appointment, we recommend at least 4-6 weeks in between appointments to take action on the strategies we’ve discussed.
We understand emergencies and schedule changes do occur, however we are not able to accommodate excessive last minute cancellations and no-shows. To utilize our services, the following policies apply:
- Cancellation Policy: If you can no longer make your appointment, you must cancel it in Handshake at least 24 hours prior to your scheduled time.
- No-Show Policy: If you do not cancel an appointment at least 24 hours prior to your scheduled time in Handshake, or you do not show up for your appointment, it will be recorded as a no-show. If you graduated more than 5 years ago, a no-show will count as one of your three appointments available per calendar year. Two or more no-shows will result in a restriction of your coaching services for the remainder of the calendar year.
- Late Arrival Policy: If you arrive late to your virtual meeting, we can only meet with you for the remainder of your original appointment time. If you arrive more than 10 minutes late, you may be asked by the coach to reschedule.
Most alumni meet with the Wasserman Center one to two times as they consider next steps in their career. If you are interested in extensive or on-going career support, we recommend working with a private coach who can offer more frequent and specialized services.
We are pleased to provide you with a list of external career coaches to further assist you in your career development. Access this list, or log into Handshake and select “External Career Coaches List for NYU Alumni” from the Resource section of your account. We provide you with detailed information on each coach, including their bio, areas of expertise, and contact information.
Prices for these private coaches will vary, but many offer low or no cost introductory sessions for NYU alumni. You may choose to meet with a few providers at first, to ensure you find a coach that best aligns with your specific interests or needs. Please note that NYU and the Wasserman Center can not endorse any one coach specifically, rather this list is provided as a resource only, separate from our services.
There are also a variety of public directories available to help you in this process, including:
- LinkedIn Pro Finder- Find career coaches, executive coaches, and resume writers in your area through LinkedIn's professional services marketplace.
- Muse Career Coaches- Search for Muse coaches who specialize in interviewing techniques, leadership development, negotiation, job search strategy and more.
- NCDA Certified Career Coaches- A directory of certified career counselors through the National Career Development Association.
- iRelaunch Career Re-Entry Coaches- A group of career coaches who specialize in resources, strategies, and navigating the job search for those returning to the workforce.