How to Request a New Check

If you know we’ve issued a refund check to you, but it hasn’t arrived in the mail, you can request that we send you a replacement check.

Please wait until the check has been missing for 14 days to send your request.

You can also request a replacement check if yours was damaged or stolen.

To request a replacement check, you should:

  • Fill out a Stop Payment Request Form
  • Be sure to include a copy of your photo ID with this form
  • Allow five days for the check to be re-issued

Receiving Your Refund

We will issue your refund in the form of direct deposit or a check.

Learn about enrolling in direct deposit.